NFL Network "Cable provider authentication failed" December 2022

Current Status (2022-12-26 @ 3:30pm ET):

This version appears to have fixed the issue for almost everyone! Holding off on closing out this thread until I hear from the remaining people having issues. Please update to the latest pre-release!

I already submitted diagnostics and wrote support, but wanted to put this here in case anyone else is experiencing this.

Last night, NFL Network failed to record and today will not play in Channels, either. It does play fine on the NFL's website. During an individual channel rescan I get this error:

When I go to http://x.x.x.x:8089/providers/tve/error_screenshot.png I see this error:

I have attempted rescans in multiple browsers, with Pi-hole on and off, and after a server reset. I have tested a few other stations and this appears to the only one giving me an issue.

Current info for me is:

• TVE Provider: Cox
  • Channels Version: 2022.12.06.2055
  • Channels Platform: Windows 10

Channels doesn't support DRM. The error tells you it needs DRM.

Yes, I am aware of this, but the NFL Network website stream is not DRM protected as far as I know. For instance, here is PBS's website stream which is clearly DRM:

The NFL Network stream is not showing any indication that DRM has been implemented, as far as I can tell (I'm hardly an expert, so could be mistaken). Are you able to get it to play in Channels?

No. When Suddenlink switched to Optimum TV I lost many channels including NFL.

Also having issues with Hulu TV and NFL Channel not being available and getting the same error when I scan for it.

Currently running this version: 2022.12.06.2055

2 Likes

You might be able but I assume the link is the kind that expires after a bit

Yep, spot on. I was able to get the link in the same manner as you showed in the screenshot and create a custom station in Channels. It played no problem. I then left for like 30 minutes and came back to play it and it was no longer valid.

Having same issue. I also submitted diagnostics and ticket.
I hope this isn't a DRM problem.
PBS, NBAtv I hope not NFL network also.
If there was a standard DRM implementation embedded in http streaming that would help resolve these issues. Each DRM implementation seems to be unique and proprietary.
But a company or group like Google would have to push it.
Just another Xmas wish I have. Oh well.

I doubt it is a DRM issue. It is working fine for me with FuboTV credentials.

That's good to hear.
Thanks!

Just for reference, who is your provider, what version of Channels are you on, and what is Channels installed on?

Same problem with YouTube TV. I'm running server version 2022.11.23.1520 on Windows 10.

Same issue with Spectrum cable version 2022.12.06.2055 running on Mac OS Monterey. Also, have the same problem with NFL Red Zone.

Provider: Directv

Channels: 2022.12.12.0138

Installed on :
TOSHIBA Satellite P775
Linux Opensuse-Tumbleweed
(kernel: 6.0.10-1-default) CPU
8 cores / Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2670QM CPU @ 2.20GHz
load averages: 0.05 0.34 0.80
RAM
7.67 GB
83.3% free

Just downloaded version 2022.12.12.0138 (HuluTV credentials) and still having the same problem, stating my cable authentication failed.

Iā€™m seeing the exact same issues with the same build, but different provider (Hotwire). My server is running on a Mac, so I tried logging into the NFL channel website with those same credentials on that computer to see if I could watch Live TV and I could; thinking that might solve the issue I tried once again on the server and no joy.

Same here. Running latest stable release (2022.11.15.1908) on a Windows server. Authentication fails for both Spectrum and YTTV.

I am running version : 2022.12.12.0138
NFL Network is no longer authenticating
Getting error msg : Cable provider authentication failed
All other non-NFL TV channels work fine.
Been having this issue for over a week now.
Created a Ticket but no response but I take it the team my be on holiday.
Hopefully someone can look into this soon.

Regards
Keith

I am also having issues with Nfl Network even though I have a couple providers that are working still.

1 Like

@Timbo303, can you elaborate a little more? What provider/Channels Version/Channels Install Platform is working, and what ones are not?