No Channel surfing?

Just installed on my MacBook M1 and subscribed.. but do you not allow the app to change Channels via a remote control like the apple bluetooth remote even when in full screen?

Or can you suggest a way to channel surf with any remote?

regards
Joe

First…most streaming remotes don’t even have channel buttons, so that makes it pretty hard.

Second, on those that do, you can. We support it. We even support numeric input. Original TV remotes via HDMI CEC are your best bet to even have this functionality.

As for the Apple Remote, it doesn’t have Channel buttons either. But on the most recent version, there’s an option to make the up and down buttons work as Channel buttons, via settings.

Lastly, we don’t particularly consider channel flipping to be a very good experience anyways. It’s a bit archaic when we have more modern ways to find something on to watch.

With the Quick Guide you can instantly see what’s on other channels, without having to tune into a million channels linearly. While Channels can tune fast, it’s still not going to feel the same as a cable box from 20 years ago.

Sounds like Joew's asking about the iPad app on the M1 MacBook though. The "Quick Guide" there shows on the bottom, one channel at a time, but it disappears pretty quickly before I'm able to choose the next channel. The up and down keys on the keyboard also don't channel surf. I didn't expect them to, I understand the iPad app working on Mac is just a happy coincidence and not a development priority, and I'm cool with that. Just trying to explain what I've experienced and what I think Joew is asking about.

Yes Fofer was referring to the app and well explained. Thanks

Good call. We could get the arrow keys to support channel up and down.

1 Like

Have been using eyetv 3 for years and its nearly time to move on (to new hardware). Channels would be great if they could incorporate remote support and also my eyetv Netstream4s tunner. I don't want to surf through hundreds of channels either but only the ones I would choose/set as favourites. Have been watching channels development for years in hope.
Would it not be easier to bring the tvOS app to the desktop which has remote support.

It doesn’t work like that. We didn’t do any work to bring the iPad app to macOS. It’s just something that macOS does. And they use the iPad version.

Letting the remote work with it isn’t something we can do, and there’s no plans to develop a macOS app in that fashion.

With streaming boxes being what they are now, hooking a computer to the tv isn’t something anyone needs to do (or does) anymore.

Yes the arrow keys might be good. Left and right for channels and up and down for volume.
Might be able to program a remote then.

Left and right already control seek. Volume controls are a system feature, not app.

can you also please make the arrow keys for channel changing on the ipad magic keyboard? hopefully it works when you enable it for this.

thanks.

2 Likes

That’s what I mean. It would work for both when doing this.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.