Now What?

I asked a question yesterday about setting up and using Channels DVR. I appreciate the suggestions so I bought an apple tv 4k. Installed the software on a synology nas, started a subscription to Channels, installed the app on my apple tv. It appears it see my server but now what? I looked at manage sources and it says no sources detected and that channels requires a HDHomerun tuner.

What?? I know I am not purchasing a home run tuner and that was not mentioned that I found so am I doing something wrong?

Thanks
Scott

What sources are you planning to watch? If it is Over-the-Air TV then yes you would need a HDHomeRun tuner. If it is streaming/OTT "TVE" services then you'll need to add those via the web interface to ChannelsDVR

OK I do not have OTA can you tell me where to find instructions on adding the other because I'm either blind or it is not easily found.

Thanks

1 Like

Very easy and documented. Main website has a How link. Channels DVR FAQ and is very well documented. You just need to take the time to look.

TVE

I think you mentioned in other thread that you have YouTube TV as your TVE source.
The thread for that is here. Follow the instructions there as YTTV is often a chore to add and get working due to Googles security requirements, and Channels does not support 2FA.

I use Philo, and it works super smooth and is easy.,

1 Like

I have looked at the links you provided but I can't do anything. I'm using chrome browser on my computer but no links from there work for me.

Scott

1 Like

Not sure what you are saying. If you can't click links on a webpage in your browser, then you have other issues.

You need to go to the webgui of your server to add in TVE source. The links on the FAQ and in forums are generic in that you have to substitute your servers ip address into them. Also best to set the device you host the server on as static ip.

http://xxx.xxx.xxx:8089/admin/settings

If you cant access the server admin gui, then check security settings or firewall settings. I do not use a NAS device, i use the Pi image on a Pi4b. So i can't advise on NAs setup or settings.

I clicked on the TVE availability link you provided. And I logged in with my gmail account to YTTV and and it said it worked. But how does that get added the the Channels DVR server or app? I must be totally stupid but this seems more difficult than it should. LOL
Scott

It already been explained to you 2x now.
IF you are lost, i suggest you start over.

1 Like

On your NAS click Channels then above sources click the gear and select Add

2 Likes

Thanks you to the person who PM'd and pointed me in the right direction. It was simple when I got a good link to go to.

speedingcheetah thanks for your time, but the last link you provided me would have been all I needed in the first place. Yes I should have found that myself but didn't, I guess I'm really as stupid as you made me feel.

Scott

It is hard to give support when all you get back is 'It didn't work". You never made clear what it was that was not working or what specifically you were struck on. You never stated you could not figure out how to access the WebUI after being told by 2 different people, and the docs, that is where you needed to go to next after install to finish setup. We here had to guess that is where you were hung up on. Though, Your posts seemed to indicate you had already gotten past that step. Being vague and seemingly totally lost with your responses, does not help to resolve the issue you had. The links and instructions in the Documentations are clear and the same into posted here. Glad you finnaly figured it out.

1 Like

OK I got YTTV entered into TV Everywhere and it brought up 153 stations. But no local stations. I clicked on the instructions about TVE and local stations and clicked on the links provided to verify that I could receive them and that worked on my browser. But Channels does not list the locals. Am I missing something with this?

Also to be clear, the network channels ABC,NBC etc. are the ones main ones that I need to work to use Channels DVR with. Without them this would be a deal breaker.

Thanks Again

Do you have the experimental locals box checked at the bottom of the UI on the webpage?

1 Like

No I did not, trying now. Seems to be taking awhile.

1 Like

You got it, thanks so much.

Scott

1 Like

I have an issue with ABC through TVE. The other networks work fine but ABC doesn’t seem to support it from the provider I’m using. Did it work for you?

Not sure who your provider is, but I am pretty sure there are contract disputes going on with some local ABC folks. Because local providers of ABC are allowed to set contracts. Blackouts might be more common and random depending on area that is covered.

1 Like

I know HULU-LIVETV had Dropped ABC not sure if they got it back yet.

Local networks via TVE i have found to very unreliable in my market. It labeled "experimental" for a reason i guess. The channels would just randomly disappear, or not tune. The TVE streams also lower quality than their OTA versions. The main "local" stations i wanted, that are hard for me to get with my antenna, not offered via TVE in that way sadly. Only were via Locast, but, that service was killed off while back.