On to 2023, what are you missing in Channels?

My wishlist:

1. More UI customization in general: color themes, app icons, re-mapping channel numbers for HDHR or TVE sources, and replacing channel icons.

2. A quicker way to toggle captions on and off in the tvOS UI. If a redesign of the drop down menu isn't in the cards, maybe an option to default to the "Options" view when swiping down instead of the quick guide.

3. I'd love to see improvements to the player UI. I think a visible indicator of hours:minutes:seconds is a basic but necessary addition for better granular seeking. Thumbnails would be awesome too, but I understand that's more resource-intensive.

1. Like @MB_NYC, I'd like to see more options to tweak the commercial indicators. Manual timestamp entry would be a nice way to fix commercial breaks that comskip doesn't catch.

2. If the ability to log in to 2 different servers isn't being considered, how about allowing local HDHR sources while logging into a remote server, and combining them in a unified guide? This would be a cool way to allow access local channels at a second home or family member's house. (As far as I know this isn't possible right now, although I might be wrong.)

3. This is a niche request, but some form of Letterboxd integration for movies would be really neat if their API is capable! Their user-created lists are a great way to discover movies. Average Letterboxd rating displayed on a movies page would be cool too.

4 Likes

I know it's been said before but Multiview would be ideal. It's the one thing really missing for me.

2 Likes

Vacation Mode. Ability to pause all scheduled recordings at once

5 Likes

I understand that when I pause my ATV4K that the buffer is being held by the client and not the DVR, but it would be very nice to pick up and record the buffered video rather than it picking up live.

2 Likes

My Crazy Wishlist:

• ATSC 4.0 multichannel support (in many cases)
• I'd love a simulated 5.1 / 7.2 for the TVE 2.0 Stereo sound sources
• AC4 > AC3 Multichannel Audio Conversion on recordings or option to record audio from ATSC 1.0 Channel until more options are available to edit HVEC videos. (sports archiving)
• Be able to customize things more

3 Likes

A slight customizable tweak to the Channel Surfing feature would also be great to see. A simple setting that would allow us to reverse the direction of Up and Down:

2 Likes

Another thing I just thought of: make it possible to create advanced passes on the clients. :pray:

4 Likes

I have a server in the US and live in the UK, but I have a HDHR in the UK with me. The app detects the local HDHR fine but doesn't have any way to pull guide data. So I get all my channels in one big guide, which is awesome, but the UK channels don't have any EPG listings available to them so it just shows blank, so I end up having to use my hybrid plex/channels setup.

1 Like

The purple looks fine on a few of my devices, horrible on my 2 TVs. It's one of those colors that just isn't the same on every device.

1 Like

Woah that's exactly what I was looking for!

Now please let us define the library paths for TV Shows and Movies, please! I'd like them to be on a different directory where Channels saves its DB, logs etc.

It would also be great if the guide could wraparound, i.e. when we get to the bottom, pressing Down one more time would bring us back to the top. :slight_smile: I believe this is also called "infinite guide scrolling."

6 Likes

If you page through the guide using Page Up/Down or Channel Up/Down keys on your keyboard or remote, then the guide does wrap. If you only use Up/Down, it does not wrap.

2 Likes

Thanks, that's good information, but many of us are using AppleTV's Siri remote, which doesn't have Page Up/Down buttons:

4 Likes

The ability to mark premium channels so we can turn off commercial detection or even better do this for us for commonly known channels such as HBO and Showtime. This would save resources and avoid false positives.

Related, the ability to turn off commercial skipping during playback

1 Like

There is an API endpoint to disable Comskip on a per-channel basis.

1 Like

Wonderful! Thank you.

1 Like

Make the panels in the commercial editor larger. They are too small to tell what is in them.

2 Likes

Haven't been here for a while, and I'm are this is in this thread somewhere but

Visually impaired mode - Big letters or icons.
Very distinct coloring showing your location on the on now screen or guide.

I know its been suggested a lot, but you asked....

1 Like

I would live to be able to link trailers to youtube. It would be even better if this link occured automatically. Give us an option to include trailers from youtube or some other source if there is a better one in the admin for any movie it is able to make a link to. I would love for this to work the way it does in Kodi.

4 posts were merged into an existing topic: Manual Recording with no ComSkip