Options for accessing The CW programming via TV Everywhere

Let me start by saying that I'm a complete noob to all the Channels stuff. I just spun up a Channels DVR on a Raspberry Pi I had, looking to explore if it could be a replacement for our TiVo so we can leave Spectrum. It looks intriguing but I'm stuck on how to get the CW programming. It's not in the list of channels and they mention something about Locast.org, but that's not available for central NC and Locast doesn't seem to let me easily say I'm from Baltimore or something.

Any suggestions? Thanks

-J

They do not offer streams on their website/participate in TV Everywhere.

Your only option is to either use Locast (if available in your area), or use their app.

Is CW an OTA station in your area?
If so, you can get a good antenna and a HDHR OTA tuner and use that with Channels DVR.

1 Like

Thanks all, I appreciate the feedback. I think that answers my questions.

I used the Location Guard extension in Chrome to sign up for my closest city with Locast. And kept it on until it was added as a source.

3 Likes

That's a great idea. Thanks @Elle_Halle!

1 Like

Has this worked out for you. I would hate to get my account suspended by Locast. I would guess if you didn't change the location regularly, you would fly under their radar and it wouldn't be a big deal?

I have Locast in my area but prefer to get the news channels in another city. I added that city as a source about a year back and the Channels DVR Server has worked ever since.

1 Like

Ultimately I ended up going a different route. Locast seemed problematic for two reasons, first was that I'd have to monkey with the location. I did actually get that to work and it seemed like the browser extension mentioned, worked as advertised, which was great. Second though was that I'd have to pay a monthly fee (donation) and I was seeing where at the low end of $5/mo, people were still getting hit with the paywall later in the month. I know that Locast revised their paywall settings some because of corona, but I didn't really want to build something around a process that could revert back to a problem.

Instead, since I currently already run Plex for my locally stored media, and already pay for a Plex Pass, I figured I would leverage the Plex DVR feature and just buy a good antenna that could be mounted in my attic. I spent about $35 on Amazon for an RCA antenna and it works perfectly. I just routed the cable through my attic to the Hauppauge tuner and attached it to my Plex server and it was completely plug and play, no config needed. In the end, it's not really any different than using the Channels DVR for accessing some recordings and then the HBO Max app to access other shows. We'll just use Plex for accessing the CW shows (at least, that's how I'm trying to explain it to my wife lol).

Can that tuner be used directly with ChannelsDVR or is a Plex Pass and Plex a prerequisite?

1 Like

No. The only physical tuners supported by Channels are HDHomeRun tuners, or Sat>IP tuners.

Thanks. My friend has the Hauppauge and was curious about ChannelsDVR...

Not directly. I think there might be a way to use the M3U feature that Channels added, to get the Hauppauge to work, but I haven't played with it to really know for sure. Like racameron mentioned, only the HDHomeRun tuners for OTA are supported directly.

Thanks.

Not sure if you've already thought of this, but you could import those Plex recordings and just play them via Channels if she (or you) doesn't want to use Plex just for CW.

That's a neat idea. I hadn't thought of that. Wouldn't Channels need some way to know what the show is even if I save it to the TV folder on the Channels DVR?

I'm not sure exactly what Plex recording naming conventions, but I assume they're named logically enough for Channels to match the metadata for them without much difficulty. See here: ALPHA: Import TV local content into DVR

Here's the docs on Importing local content

1 Like

The new PlayonCloud integration that Channels just announced would work for me as well since it directly supports The CW and that's pretty much the only channel I actually cared about :slight_smile:

3 Likes