"Pardon the Interruption" recording duplicates

I have a series pass for the program "Pardon the Interruption" that normally airs on ESPN weekdays at 4:30p. The program is often re-aired a couple hours later on one of the other ESPN networks, usually ESPN2. The problem is that Channels DVR is recording both airings even though the pass is configured to only record new episodes.

I'm guessing this is due to the fact that both are labeled as "New" in the guide data (see screenshot), and a possible workaround would be to add a "channel == ESPN" condition. But this is problematic because sometimes the normal 4:30 airing is pre-empted by other programming and the only showing is the later one on a different channel.

Anyone know any other workarounds?

Yeah, it’s unfortunate when this happens. There’s a couple of ways to resolve this.

1. You can go to the web admin and find the pass and edit it. Enter the channel you want it to apply to. Since the issue is that ESPN is broadcasting it on multiple channels as NEW, this should help you for this case.
  2. Another way you could resolve something like this is using the advanced portion of passes. Find your pass in the web admin and click Advanced. There you could set a time rule: TIME contains 4:30PM.

The problem is that sometimes the usual ESPN 4:30 airing is pre-empted by a live sports event, and the only airing on that day is the later one on a different ESPN network channel (sometimes ESPN2, sometimes ESPNU or other). So I don’t see how either of these workarounds would mitigate this?

What’s weird is that it shouldn’t record twice to begin with. If it is, it means it’s being tagged as a different program, even though it’s actually the same one. I’ll check the guide data and see if I can see anything weird happening.

Ahh, it’s because it’s on separate channels. Channels DVR thinks they’re different programs. We’ll look into it, thanks.

:ok_hand: Cool, thanks!

The DVR will only record a given episode once. The problem here is that the guide data is tagging these as unique episodes with different IDs, so the DVR can’t tell that they’re the same episode.

I’m not quite sure what we can do in this case…

Have the guide provider fix it?

Poked at the guide data some more. Usually episodes have a unique identifier (EPxxxx). For this particular show though, all the airings just use the same generic show identifier (SHxxxx). I guess they do this when they don’t know anything specific about the airing beforehand, like what they’ll be talking about or who the guests will be. I can try contacting our provider, but I’m pretty sure this data comes directly from ESPN and this is not something they’re going to change.

Maybe there’s something we can do on our end to deal with this. Let me think on it a bit to see what’s possible.

Ok, no problem. Obviously this isn’t a huge deal but would be nice to have it fixed. Thanks for looking into it.