Parental Controls

Now that we are able to add more content, and my children are getting more adept to using a remote/Channels, I was wondering if there were thoughts on restricting access or allowing a passcode to play content above a certain rating as set by the user. Or is there any way to integrate content restrictions currently on the Apple TV and have it apply to Channels content as well? I realize it was brought up in the past, but wanted to see if there was any renewed interest now that we have PlayOn/lmports available.

Thanks much!

While there is no content restrictions ability right now, there IS a way to break your library of content up into your library and your kids' library.

You can set if a show or movie should be in the library, kids section, or both. Then at least your kid has their own section to choose things from and won't accidentally start up the wrong thing.

You can learn more here:

Any chance we could default the app to launch on the kids section and then require a passcode to navigate to the rest of the app? Just another suggestion, totally understand if it's not a priority now.

That's probably not a UX flow that we'd incorporate, but we are considering server side settings that force specific clients into kids only mode. So when they're opened, the only content that is show is things from the kids section.

1 Like

Very cool solution - looking forward to hearing more about it and testing it in the future if it becomes available!

Hey I just noticed this in the beta. Is there any detail of how this works eg. are the ratings used to determine this across all content: lineups, recordings and library

Yes, this will be going into beta today for the tvOS and iOS client. Kids only mode will use the Library Visibility settings that already drive the Kids Section.

When Kids Only modes is on, the app is locked to only the content in the Kids Section. So instead of showing just a single section for kids, it shows the Movies and TV Shows sections as well as the option to show On Now and Guide. Those sections are locked to the Kids filter.

I have a use case where my kids are sharing access to the same device as the rest of the family (i.e. the Apple TV attached to the main TV in the living room) so as-is this server-side setting is not useful. But if it could be applied on a scheduled basis to specific clients from the server, that would make it useful. Similar to the way screen time settings work for downtime. Then I could force kids mode on for that client between certain times (i.e. before I get up in the mornings).

Kids Mode announcement here:

https://community.getchannels.com/t/beta-tvos-ios-kids-only-mode/26623

This is probably a bit out of scope for the feature at this time.

John can't we just have facial recognition so as soon as it sees a kid, it switches to kid mode. Maybe next version :grin: Kidding great stuff

With regards to scheduling, Apple is supposedly working more on the current profiles/user setup and its possible in tvOS 15 its more useable to moderate kids content at the system level