Pay for TV and Channels DVR - Why?

Hey guys, I'm just curious how many of you actually pay for a full TV package and still choose to use the Channels DVR app as a way to record and watch your content.

I have a feeling a simple antenna with say your parents TV user name and password for TVE is a popular approach.

I'm struggling with this. I installed an antenna recently in anticipation of the ASTC 3.0 rollout and get all the major networks. I also have Youtube TV. Is the value the local recordings and comm skip? Savings on the per box rental from the provider?

1 Like

The Gracenote guide data is a big part of the cost.

Generally, both of these. I used Tvheadend with a Prime and Spectrum for TV. I transitioned to Channels for the superior UI and remote access.

But the whole choice to use DVR software was for:

• Save myself from needless box/service fees
  • Able to use my recordings as I liked, instead of having them tied to a box that would often have issues, and replacing the box meant losing the recordings
  • Better interface/UI than provided cable box
3 Likes

I decided to cut my providers triple-play package down to internet only. That reduced my bill to about $35/month. Then I sold my TiVo DVRs. I had an antenna, and decided to buy an HDHomeRun and streaming devices. That worked great, but I missed the ability to record live TV. I found ChannelsDVR and decided I liked it, plus the TV Everywhere support encouraged me to try out Philo.

The ChannelsDVR value to me:

• local recordings
  • TVE support/recordings
  • Inexpensive hardware (running on a Pi4)
  • Other cool stuff like being able to integrate Pluto
  • Channels Developers constantly adding features, fixing performance, etc.
  • Should have added Commercial Skip, too. I can live with commercials if I have to, but I don't have to!
4 Likes

The local DVR is a huge plus for me. I tried a plethora of tv providers, and found that I liked fubo (channel availability and DVR interface) the best, but there's a delay in using the DVR to skip ahead because it's cloud based. The channels DVR is instant because it's local, and the commercial skip feature is great - not perfect but it's close enough to the commercial skipping I was used to with my Tivos. Now, I run T-Vision and Locast w/ Channels DVR. $53/month and I couldn't be happier.

1 Like

More control. New episodes only, padding, I decide when my recordings are deleted

1 Like

My situation is my condo in Florida I already have spectrum as part as my fees so why should I pay another provider for TV package. I setup the antenna for my local channels and TVE with Spectrum for the rest. Channel DVR gives me that ability. I only have Fios internet in my home.

1 Like

For someone on YoutubeTV (or any internet-based TV) - what happens to your YTTV DVR content if you move to Fubo?

Poof. Gone.

Maybe the easiest/best use case for a third party.

3 Likes

I sure do not do this at alllllll :roll_eyes:

1 Like

I pay for Fubo, just to get the TVE. Fubo (and most others) are only 720P, TVE is mostly 1080i. Channels lets me integrate TVE, Antenna, and Locast.

1 Like

8 posts were split to a new topic: TV resolutions

I pay for cable b/c it's cheaper - at least in my area - than internet+Sling or another OTT provider.
For years I used a Tivo. But when Tivo got merged with Riva, the guide data became a disaster.
The result was missed recordings due to bad data, missing data or downright missing channels. I struggled with it for years and finally gave up a few months ago.

I now use an HDHomerun PRIME with Channels and it's working great. The commercial skip is awesome and the interface is easy. I miss the Wishlist recordings the Tivo had, but otherwise it's pretty much a feature match for me.

1 Like

All of these are good points in my opinion. Especially the Tivo replacement and the ability to keep your recordings in this day and age when people are switching streaming services every few months.

I use TVE along with an HD Homerun Quatro 4K. I hope that Boston will pick up some ASTC 3.0 signals this year to really make my setup justified. My wife still uses Youtube TV purely because its what she knows and it just works, but I'll default to Channels DVR moving forward.

My primary motivation was/is about creating a simple and consistent user experience for all of the content. I am saving quite a bit of money, but that was not the primary goal of this (ongoing) project.

We use the HDHR for OTA broadcast as it still offers the best picture/sound. I have traditional cable service principally for the TVE, netflix, hulu/espn+/disney, amazon, hbo max, and a few others as well as a fair sized library of movie/tv content.

All running through 6 ATV4s on a variety of TV and AV equipment. Say what you want about the silly ATV remote, but it is dead simple.

Now my wife/family (and her mother and family when they visit!) can easily and reliably access all of the content on any TV without ever having to call tech support (me).

Channels (live tv and recorded content, now including the library) and the ATV app to aggregate and manage the streaming services are what make this possible and I am extremely pleased with the result.

While there is still plenty of room for improvement, the folks here at Channels continue to delight and surprise with new and compelling features. Now if I could just get Apple to take a few steps forward...

Anyway, thought I would share a different perspective. Hope you find what is best for you.

6 Likes

Because the subscription money is being invested in new features for the system. PIP is a classic example of an awesome new feature that will have taken a lot of man hours to accomplish.

Opensource is fine but in the end its dependant on a few individuals who volunteer their work. Thats why I lost faith with Plex. They stopped doing enhancements and started doing naff features like web streaming and vintage games.

Channels is simple, high quality and quite frankly for its level of quality extremely cost effective. Long may they continue to improve it.

1 Like

Channels is by far the best DVR I have ever used and I have used a lot of them and most of them are absolute crap. I have a cable subscription but don't even have a cable box. And if I find a better deal, I can change to a new provider in the background with very little impact on my family. The channel number may change but they don't know what they are anyway. The DVR used to be a big barrier to changing providers because you loose all your recordings and you have to train the family on a new remote. I stayed with directv for years for that very reason even though I wasn't happy with the service. I actually was still with directv when I started using Channels. After a few months of shake down, I switched providers and my family didn't have a clue. I guess you might be able to do this with some sort of cable card solution but most people don't have more than one provider that offers cable cards -- and they are going away anyway.

I have Verizon FIOS and I also pay for Channels. Channels is the best DVR around. With TVE (which restored missing DRM channels) and Pluto TV and commercial skip... it's really a great solution for me.

I'll stick with my current setup until either my Primes die or FIOS stops supporting cable card and then I'll consider my alternatives. Whatever I move to, I hope to continue using Channels in one way or another.

Have you tried using an advance pass from the web ui to replicate a wishlist recording?

YouTube TV is mostly fine, but too many streaming services charge you extra for DVR storage, make it hard to skip commercials, delete your recordings after a fairly short period of time, and on and on. With Channels, you don't need to worry about any of that.

You can also record your over-the-air networks, so you don't need to pay to get them from a streaming service.

New Plex convert here...wanted a single app with DVR for all my sources, and Channels provides that with a great UI. OTA + Philo + Locast + Pluto for $36/mo, can't beat it. Occasionally use the Philo native app.