PBS Feeds

I think what @djw noted is the how. If I understand what I'm seeing correctly (and I might not, so don't quote me on this), I would say it is playing in something like a headless Chrome and then starts to parse the stream out as little .ts files. It seems pretty similar to how Channels uses HLS option to create a buffer on the server that can be streamed to each client. You might notice the stations take a hot second to get going, and this would explain why as it builds up a small buffer.

1 Like

Yes, that's where I'm running it in Docker.

1 Like

We could ask @miibeez for the source and the dockerfile.

Seems to work reliably but can’t get closed captions out of the feed.

Is this something that could be adapted to the impending NBC change?

The VLC portion of the setup would need to be able to decode DRM. Unfortunately, a joint effort would have to be in place.

Could there be a docker setup for the USA Network Channel on there TVE where stream on there website where you login with your cable provider?

Sling Vidgo and Philo Might be the easiest to get working with VLC-bridge.
Depends on the streaming being provided to the bridge.

Coukd someone explain how to map the guide data? I’ve got the channel working but no guide data…

Thanks for all your help! :grinning:

2 Likes

@miibeez seems to be good at making dockers based on VLC-bridge.
Want to try, @miibeez ? :grin:

Once you add the m3u as a custom channel you need to click on the number of channels found.

Then you search for the statin call sign by clicking on the + sign

In my example I'd search for WGTV.

You may need to click on the gear icon and search all lineups.

Doesn't USA already work fine with Channels? It is on my setup.

Yours won’t work for long.

https://community.getchannels.com/t/nbc-nbc-sports-nbcu-networks-no-longer-available-via-tv-everywhere-providers/35902/76

I am recording one of my PBS stations right at this moment and it is able to be played in Channels.

Not sure how the USTVNOW service looks but they have NBC.

There's a docker for it now, for eligible subscribers at least

I know this much,
If I were traveling outside the US, the use of ustvnow would be fine.
I think writing a vlc-bridge would be easiest with vidgo and Sling due to the fact that Stremium somehow did it.
I checked with one of their providers to see if they were affiliated and they aren't.
They have the services but Channels DVR has good development.
Sticking with Channels due to good user experience and unlike Stremium we have an IOS app.

Mine working now, from AppleTV, had tried a test from the Server interface and only got Audio with no video, really strange, but anyway agree, recording did work for me. Thanks

3 Likes

What option is that?