NBC, NBC Sports, NBCU Networks No Longer Available via TV Everywhere Providers

Maybe an oversight.
They are no longer in my lineup after the latest prerelease upgrade. All NBC channels are no more and I have no backup for NBC itself (no OTA). :disappointed:

Now, please pray for me, I'm going to tell the news to my wife. If you don't hear from me for 2 days, please call the police. :joy:

I have the feeling Peacock is going to be used more often in my house now. :wink:

4 Likes

Well it's been a fun ride but the only reason I paid 8 bucks a month was for MSNBC & SYFY

4 Likes

Audials is doing a screen recording of what is playing on your computer. That isn't how Channels works.

1 Like

So to review,

• TVE streams on NBC brands stopped because of DRM addition.
  • if the DRM is the same as HBO and others one not only needs sign in but drives them towards each individual app to “decode”
  • your home box (cable, satellite, stream) has capability of decoding said streams for viewing
  • Apple TV seems to have the apps and if they ever improve their Appletv app to include a guide and then play within the Appletv app (as opposed to simply open he app from within )
  • seems like engineering wise, taking streams post decoding device and converting to another stream may work (in the same manor the HDHomeRun box is between OTA antenna and TV, or
  • creating a channels++ app that incorporates signins and decoding for “premium” or drm channels
    (Since one is paying for signin (Uverse) we only are looking for different distribution methods …like when initially deployed, cable was cable, then the cable “box” came into play, then an app on different platforms , this would be yet the next reiteration that combines (paid for) content and mailing it available in one spot (app) vs opening each app. (Again apple TV would be smart to come up with a guide that incorporates this )
  • just a thought….

Ps to our moderators thank you for patience in responding kindly (sans frustration ) about being asked same question (server errors) as drm nbc propagates out and folks (like me) only discover it when we go to watch a specific channel.
Tip of the cap for your collective professionalism in responses.

3 Likes

Channels is still the best system out. I was able to share my Directv stream account while not using one of the 3 streams. I did watch Morning Joe in the mornings but it's good I don't now. I ran out of items to throw at the TV and my wife has her peace back in the mornings. I can always watch it on Directv stream...but I won't. I think this is the beginning of all networks implementing DRM. I have all my OTA channels including NBC.
Thanks Channels the best $8 I've spent on services.

1 Like

I did this command. It returned "true". However, my version did not change. I need my NBC channels back.

Please help.

2 Likes

Even if you do manage to downgrade prerelease version, it will only bring back your local NBC via TVE if by chance you are in an area where the channel is owned & operated. No idea how long it would last, either, but it does certainly feel like its days are numbered. This is not something under Channels DVR's control. A downgrade would also not bring back the other channels like MSNBC, Bravo, E!, Oxygen, SyFy, etc. They no longer work with TVE, for anyone, even those still on the older pre-release.

1 Like

NBC Channels are no longer supported in TVE.

You are not 100% correct. I reverted to 2023.04.13.2343 which I found on my hard disk. NBC (6000) and SiFi now work again. It turns out that these are the only ones I really care about. I care a little about USA and CNBC, but not enough to worry about at this time. The others are of no interest to me.

If I loose SIFi, I will have to rethink my setup.

1 Like

Incorrect
They did work for me until the downgrade.
If your in a major city where its taken effect, perhaps.
It will take quite sometime before it trickles outside of that.

This downgrade was a very poor decision.

Fine, its going away .. sometime in the future

Thanks for "Mothering us", no that's too kind, governing over us and in doing so informing everyone here that we are incapable of conscious thought and responsible to manage our own systems.

3 Likes

Exactly what is incorrect they are no longer supported ...

2 Likes

Funny, I can tell you completely read my note,

Thanks for the clarification. In my case I had not yet updated prerelease yet, still had KNBC via TVE, but lost all the other mentioned channels. I understood this because KNBC where I live is Owned & Operated. I noted some posts in the thread had singled out SyFy specifically, but in my case, it too was gone. I assumed it'd be the same for others, but SyFy seems to be in a different boat. I figured I wouldn't update for awhile, just to ride out the situation and see what else might change. And since I get a solid NBC signal via OTA, the stakes weren't too high for me anyway.

Anyway, this morning when checking my servers I accidentally updated prerelease, as it's part of my regular routine, just clicked it via muscle memory, it was early and I wasn't thinking too clearly, lol. Not a big deal in my case, at least this cleans up my guide, automatically removed unavailable channels that weren't playing. I hadn't gotten around to manually removing them from my Channel Collections just yet. I doubt I would have been able to hold off on the update for too long anyway as I'm too big of a fan of Channels DVR, and all the cool new features the devs are brewing.

I can't say I'm optimistic on this front but hopefully those that still have channels they need, are able to preserve such access as long as possible. And if not, we'll adapt, one way or another, as we've always managed to do.

3 Likes

Please clarify as these specifics matter.

Did you downgrade to 2023.04.18.2147?
2023.04.13.2343?
Or...?

Just out of curiosity could you explain why you think O&O stations make a difference? I have a non-O&O NBC affiliate and it was still working as of yesterday.

Just as a suggestion floated by @tmm1 here:

and since KNBC in my area was still working (and on that list) while I was reading a few dozen reports from others who weren't as lucky, it seemed like a reasonable explanation

1 Like

Thanks, I missed that post. My station is a Cox-owned station and was spared for now. Luckily I also have good OTA reception.

2 Likes

I forced the docker container back to 2023.03.25.1628 and SYFY still works

2 Likes

Not wanting to open a dead issue, but it seems this is caused by NBC implementing DRM on their streams. Last post I could find from 2019 stated that DRM was fundamentally incompatible with Channels. Earlier posts reflected that DRM support was not economically feasible for a small operation such as Channels. As we face the likely possibility of more providers going down the DRM route, I am wondering if anything has changed since 2019 to make DRM support more likely?

1 Like

I think @CScott was referring to the latest prerelease as a "downgrade" instead of an "upgrade" in the sense that some channels were removed. Consequently having less than before after the update.

So it was more like a sarcastic name for the latest prerelease.

I could be wrong but that's the way I understood it.

3 Likes