Playback Becomes 'Slo-mo' and Audio Stutters (8/14 Update)

Starting today - which could coincide with today’s app update - we’ve experienced a new issue repeatedly. Suddenly, live TV playback will begin to play in slow motion, with audio stuttering/skipping. It’s completely unwatchable. I sent logs but I’m not sure if you’’’ be able to dig them up by the time you check on this message. The effect is so bad that it actually causes the program to then lag further and further behind real-time. So far, it seems to be random and not as a result of any specific action. Updates made today to the Fire app may have to be looked at if this does indeed stem from that.

Hmm. How often does this occur? Does turning off Surround Sound help?

All the time. I’ve returned to the guide, I’ve left the app, I’ve restarted the Fire TV. They temporarily fix it of course, but so far, no permanent fix. We’ve been lucky to get bouts of 30-40 minutes of stutter-free TV upon entering the app or changing channels before it goes back to this issue. That’s on the high end. As stated, though, it only started sometime this evening - or possibly late afternoon - with no changes happening on our end.

I will turn off surround and see if it helps, but his is a new issue for us.

FWIW: We’ve been watching TV with our FTV v2 all evening long. First America’s Got Talent, for which we were watching the recording while it was recording–time-shifted some, then local news on two different channels, live. No problems. Beta-129.

Which model are you using @dcburnquist

Fire TV 3rd gen (pendant). No beta, just normal software build. Running two HDHomerun Quatros (8 OTA tuners) and an HDHomerun Prime (3 cable tuners) with Comcast cablecard.

(Same person that’s been assisting you with the channel guide issues)

Wow! And here I was wondering if maybe adding a Connect Duo, for a total of six OTA channels, maybe wasn’t a bit much :slight_smile:

Family of five, primarily retired and disabled individuals with varying tastes and a desire to record. What can ya do? :smirk:

1 Like

When the issue occurs, does pause/resume make any difference? Does skipping back fix it?

Yes, skipping back fixes it because by that point we’re behind live TV so it’s just playing from the buffer. But, then we’re no longer live. Once we forward to live, the issue will then eventually come back. The issue is one that only arises when live, which is basically all of the time for our TV viewing.

It’s been 25-35 minutes since turning OFF surround sound, and so far, no slo-mo playback or audio stutter. It may or may not come back, but so far it hasn’t. So there is certainly a chance that keeping it off resolves the issue, though it shouldn’t have to be kept off ideally.

1 Like

Okay if it’s definitely fixed with Surround Sound off that helps narrow down where the bug might be.

When you skip back and let it play for a bit, does it get messed up again at the same point in the video? Or it’s fixed for a certain amount of time and then randomly breaks again?

Well it appears to be fine now with surround sound off, so I imagine it’s the ongoing issue you’re having with the surround code. It’s strange that it only started today, though.

I’ll gladly updated this thread if I notice anything helpful, but for now lump this in as a surround related issue. Also, more importantly, do see what you can find out about the partial guide listing issue, that’s a pretty big one as far as bugs go.

Thanks.

This is so very similar to the issue I have been having too. As long as I keep Surround Sound off, the problem goes away on all channels. Turning it on, it sporadically affects channels throughout the dial although not usually our locals.

This issue is fixed in v2.0.7 which was just released and should update on your FireTV in the next 6-8 hours.

1 Like

Is this fixed now?

I believe so, but I won’t be able to say with certainty until the house has some more TV time with the new build. They haven’t watched much (maybe 2 or 3 hours) since the update, but so far only the partial guide issue came up, no slo-mo problems yet with surround sound on. Fingers crossed.

1 Like