PlayOn Desktop version and Channels DVR

By any chance, are any of you using an old playon desktop version. Does that work with Channels? I have an old lifetime account, but I'm sure that's no longer supported, right?

1 Like

I'm not sure the old PlayOn desktop version works with anything, anymore. A year or two ago, they deprecated the Desktop version (ie. lifetime subscriptions) and introduced a Home version (monthly or annual subscription). Nevermind that the Home version was the same program as Desktop, just rebadged and updated regularly. They got a lot of hate for that move. I currently have a Home subscription and the files produced by Playon Home work fine with Channels.

1 Like

How is the Playon Home files integrated to Channels? You just add the folder path in the "local content" section?

I have them added as local content as well as some of them in a virtual channel.

PlayOn Home is $40/year now, unless you want the free version with commercials. PlayOn Cloud is a better choice for most of us here, because Channels DVR automatically downloads your recordings, and the cost for PlayOn Cloud is measured in "credits" purchased a la carte.

1 Like

Other than saving computer hard drive space, is there any other reason to get CLOUD vs HOME? You say Channels DVR will automatically download the recordings, but with HOME, Channels will also automatically see the recordings in the Local Content folder, right? So is it simply about space, or is the integration different, or better? Like, does the Cloud version show up as a channel in the Guide?

I haven't used Home but I think the files are the same, in the paid version at least. So yes, you ought to be able to point Channels DVR at the PlayOn folder and the experience will be similar. PlayOn files do not show up in the Guide, but they'll show up in Library under Up Next/Recently Watched and Recently Updated. The main advantage for me is that I can have Channels DVR on a Synology NAS, without a separate Windows box for PlayOn. I control PlayOn from an Android tablet, and when PlayOn recordings are complete the files download automatically to Channels DVR. Also, the PlayOn Cloud pricing is a la carte and can be cheaper than the $40/year for PlayOn Home. Depends how much you use it.

2 Likes

I agree with Pokemon_Dad the a la carte credits work great if you are not a heavy user. The fact that it is automated with Channels is a big plus. Lately, I have found that PlayOn 1080p videos do not play back in my Channels clients (IOS and web UI). The 720p versions continue to work fine. I have reported this issue to the developers.

1 Like

Has anyone run into any issues with PlayOn Cloud being mistaken for account sharing, now that some services (like Netflix) are cracking down on that? I would assume PlayOn shows up as coming from a different IP address.

2 Likes

Why would Playon Cloud be worried about acct Sharing all they care about is that you pay for the downloads? ... regardless of where it comes from.

2 Likes

He's talking about the provider side. You have to give Playon your Netflix login credentials, so that's like sharing? For all Netflix knows, playon is just another user. So yeah, I'm curious about this too. But now that I think about it, the ip is the same, right? So this shouldn't be a problem.

1 Like

Yeah Playon Cloud does the Actual download in the Cloud from the Provider then you download from the Playon Cloud when done.

But when I think more about it, I can see there might be a Problem if Playon Cloud is downloading, and you go to watch Netflix.

I’d imagine PlayOn has its own IP addresses, unless it can somehow spoof a user’s address.

Playon Cloud is Wife approved. With sideloaded App on TV or App on her phone she just clicks the show she wants. It automatically downloads and adds utself to CDVR.

Playon home is bettet. But is geared more towards soneone doing lots of downloads. When I used to use Playon Desktop (now defunct) it ran on my server. I am not letting my wife touch any of that. She will 99% likely fuck something up.

Heads up - I have recorded 3 - 1080p videos using PlayOn during the last week and none of them would play in the Channels IOS or web clients. All 3 were audio only. I was able to record one of these in 720p and it worked fine. Seems like there is an issue with the 1080p - videos when they are transferred to Channels. I let the developers know about the problem. No solution, yet.

1 Like

Thanks. Not having that problem in Fire TV, but I notice 1080p videos are slow to play in the web UI.

720p vids are only one credit each, so a good choice for more than one reason now.

1080P plays fine in FireTV.

1 Like

Glad to hear it’s working on FireTV - must be and IOS client issue.

@Edwin_Perez are your 1080p videos able to play in the Channels web player?

I just tried it from my IPad Safari and it starts transcoding, but it sat for about 2 minutes and did not open. Works fine with the 720p.

1 Like