Pluto for Channels

@chDVRuser
My bad. I misread who said what.

Stan

OK, bought a micro DVR adapter so I could run the command on my Pi 4 DVR server. It did say Docker was running. After entering the command and hitting enter, I waited a bit and rebooted the server. It says "Started Docker Application Container Engine" so I think it is running as intended. Now I entered the custom channel info on the settings page as I THINK I should have. No channels found.

Attaching a screen shot of the setup.
Please let me know what I've done wrong.
(the IP address is the same as the DVR Settings page).

... and FYI I tried "localhost" and "dvr-server" in place of the IP address with the same result.

Thanks

Using any computer on your network, can you view the Pluto for Channels web page?

From your screen shot that would be http://192.168.29.108:8080

I just tried on my tablet which is on the same network, No, I'm not able to get to the page.

I don't know Linux, to run the Docker set up command I just typed it and hit enter. Is that correct?

How do you know 192.168.29.108 is the correct IP. Are you sure port 8080 is available on the computer?

I'm not a programmer so I'm just trying ro follow the "simple directions" I've found scattered around these posts. It would be nice ro have one comprehensively set of instructions on how to set this up.

I do thank you for answering this post!

In answer to tour question, the IP address is the IP of the server settings page. I have no idea if port 8080 is available. It was the one listed in the Maddox/Docker instructions. Can you tell me how to check and what to do if yes or no? Again thanks for your time and expertise.

BTW I do have access to my router settings if thats what i have to check. However, I don't know what I'm looking for.

There's the problem. The instructions provided by Maddox are comprehensive. They tell you exactly what to do. The issue you are having is that you have to setup Docker for your specific environment. That's way, way, way outside of the scope of this forum. There are hundreds of other forums on the Internet that address Docker and the variations based on your network.

Also, you don't have to be a programmer to get Docker running. The programming has already been done for you. Your job is to configure everything so that it works in your environment.

My best advice I can give you is to stop looking at Pluto as your goal. Your first goal is to understand Docker and get that properly running (correct IP address, correct ports for you setup, etc). Once you learn that, I promise, following the instructions from Maddox will work.

I had to use the IP of my PC not the IP provided by docker. Once I used the PC IP everything linked up.
So I would suggest you try the PI's IP address and see if that works for you and that is not the DVR server IP either. My set up is DVR on NAS and Docker on Win10 PC.

1 Like

Yes the directions are pretty good but you can’t expect for said directions to include use this to setup and then not get questions about it. And if you are gonna bitch about it, at least offer something constructive like look here or link to something helpful :roll_eyes:

For that matter, a thread sticky with some suggested resources or reading would likely help and cut down on some of the questions.

1 Like

It really isn't that difficult...

For most here, yea maybe. For others, not so much. I got it up and and running fine. But, if you have no experience with this sort of thing it may not be as easy.

But, glad to see you sign off on being as ass to anyone who asks for help

2 Likes

This is great!!

Now, post the steps you used to get it running, you know, for others to follow.

Wow! BITCH and ASS, in consecutive posts, directed at two different members here! Tough guy from behind the keyboard. Hopefully someone continues to poop in your fruit loops.

LMAO coming from the guy essentially making fun of the user who was having trouble with your "it really isn't that difficult" follow up comment. The whole point of my initial post was because a user was complaining there was another user asking for help with getting Pluto setup because he was having issues with the Docker portion of setup and going on to say the "instructions by Maddox are comprehensive. They tell you exactly what to do. The issue you are having is that you have to setup Docker for your specific environment. That's way, way, way outside the scope of this forum. There are hundreds of other forums on the Internet that address Docker and the variations based on your network."

There are people who are really good to help. But, my issue with it was that post is unhelpful and IMO a pretty poor approach to take and a bit rude when you refer to the instructions that include setting up Docker for Pluto to work and then essentially throw your hands up in the air because someone is having trouble with said directions and asks a question about it and gets told to go get help elsewhere.

But, please carry on with your extremely helpful posts for the user who was having difficulty.

Mike, so here's the difference. I acknowledged that the instructions aren't that bad, but I wasn't the one griping about the help that was being sought out because that user having trouble with the instructions.

Was this not your response: "instructions by Maddox are comprehensive. They tell you exactly what to do. The issue you are having is that you have to setup Docker for your specific environment. That's way, way, way outside the scope of this forum. There are hundreds of other forums on the Internet that address Docker and the variations based on your network."

My whole point was that post is unhelpful and IMO a pretty poor approach to take and a bit rude when you refer to the instructions that include setting up Docker for Pluto to work and then essentially throw your hands up in the air because someone is having trouble with said directions and asks a question about it and gets told to go get help elsewhere.

Yes, I did get it setup with the instructions from Maddox. But, I'm not sure I'm the one that it would be good to offer setup assistance with Docker on it. I'm relatively new and had my own issues with Docker trying to get the MLB addon to work. You've been here since the end of 2019 and would be in a much better position to try to offer some sort of assistance I would think. Maybe because you've been around longer you see some of the same questions brought up regularly but if that's the case it'd be better to maybe not respond or if you do respond actually offer something to try and lend support as someone who's been around a while and has some experience with this stuff.

Since yesterday I am getting 0 channels for Pluto. Was the .m3u taken down? If so, does anybody have another source for the .m3u?

Arw u running it through docker? Mine is working.

Sounds like the old techyzon m3u that lots of folks were sharing — despite being warned that it would have problems and wouldn’t always be available — is having problems.

Set it up properly on your own with the Pluto for Channels Docker container, and it’ll work fine.

1 Like