Pluto for Channels

I reinstalled everything and it fixed the issue. Not the best approach as I do not have any idea what caused it, but now at least it works.

Would you mind sharing the steps to get this working with Synology Docker? I am new to Docker and believe I have it running, but nothing is getting populated.

What part isn’t working? After you add the m3u does it show that channels were added?

1 Like

At first nothing was loading, so I assumed I had the port settings set up incorrectly in Docker. I was thinking like a router and had the Local Port and the Container Port both set to 8800 (the port I chose to use). I then saw another post and realized that I had to set the Local Port to 8800 and the Container Port to 80. The channel info then began to load.

However, now the channel only lists the channel name and is not listing the individual show names or their start and stop times like they did yesterday. I assume something the EPG not refreshing as it should.

Have you added the path to the xml file from the docker using the correct port as a custom xml guide source?

Yes, I added the xml file I believe correctly. I clicked on 'Redownload XMLTV' and the guide populated again like it did after the initial setup. In reading the documentation again, I noticed that it says to download the guide data every 6 hours. I think I left it the default which was to download daily so I changed it. I did notice that the documentation shows using the default localhost URL (127.0.0.1) but in the screenshots, it shows an actual IP address. Not sure which is preferred. Here is what my settings look like:

Any suggestions/corrections are appreciated!

If docker and the DVR server are running on the same machine the local host IP is fine. Your issue was probably due to the daily refresh setting, now that you have increased the interval I think you might be all set.

1 Like

I had to use the explicit IP address of my Synology for it to work. Mine is 192.168.0.13

The local loop had the same issue you described.

1 Like

Got this going in two shakes of a lamb's tail on a Mac. Interesting platform Docker. John's container is a very useful template for custom integrations, I can see now. Cool stuff

The DVR and Docker are on the same machine. Even after switching the refresh to be every 6 hours, it is still not loading the full schedule. I then tried adding the specific IP address, but the detailed guide still isn't loading. I have now switched back to the localhost address (127.0.0.1) in both places, but the guide still isn't loading. I must be missing something, but not sure what.

You are missing the name of the file for the Custom URL
http://127.0.0.1:8800/epg.xml

2 Likes

I knew I was missing something! In my testing of using the localhost IP and the Synology IP, I must have deleted it in the process. Hopefully, it will refresh as it should going forward.

Thanks!

1 Like

What channel??? The NickGames channel went away a couple months ago. Is it back for you?

combination of pluto tv kids and pluto tv tween.

it sucks because the guide is so limited, so you can't tell when they're going to be on except for over the next few hours...but i have a pass set up for all of them (double dare, double dare 2000, guts, and legends of the hidden temple), and they all record whenever channels finds them.

You can set it to refresh every 3 hours in a more recent update vs. the 6 hours that was originally the limit. That seems to keep it with the Guide with data in it for me. But you do have to watch for movies frequently with Pluto as you don't get as much lead time as with other sources.

1 Like

I feel like I'm missing some steps. I read all of the links, github, and many comments. I'm still not quite clear what 'Source URL' to enter for the m3u...does everybody just enter the 127.0.0.1:8080/playlist.m3u so long as we're not using a different port?

Also, if I'm using the Shield TV as my DVR, how does this work? I downloaded Docker on my desktop but it dawned on me that I might have to have the desktop computer running 24/7 so that Docker can continue to run the m3u, right? Is there no way to run a Pluto m3u channel for my Shield DVR without an additional device running 24/7?

1 Like

The docker setup is for enhanced guide features, and better stability, otherwise refer to this post to add Pluto without using Docker. Further down that thread are links to add Stirr.

I may have had to remove the 'https://' from the guide link for it to load.

Thank you. I suppose I can hold off on the custom/better stuff until I understand it more.

I did what you pointed out and it went from 0 channels to 252 channels, so that's something. They all show up in the app now. That said, I can't play anything, it's only giving me options to record (even stuff currently on). Any idea?

That said, I can't play anything, it's only giving me 
options to record (even stuff currently on). Any idea?

Do the basic stuff. Doubleclick your shield remote home button and kill the Channels app, not server. Go into the DVR UI and refresh the M3U source for pluto, make sure you removed the http stuff from the guide url, hit redownload guide, wait for all that to finish before you launch the app to watch them on the Shield.

Turns out some allow me to play, others are the darker purple color as if they haven't aired yet (even though they have, or started even earlier). Very strange. Not sure the rhyme or reason yet. If you have any idea, let me know. I'll have to look further in to it.

While you're being so kind and responding to me, though, any idea if the Pluto m3u eats up internet data on my server when not being watched? I have a cap that I have to be careful of.

Thanks!