PREVIEW: Library Collections and Virtual Channels (v2021.07.16.2141)

Having an issue adding content to my virtual channel. Whenever I input a name, channel, and content (in this instance, Channels DVR recordings), I receive not one but two Javascript errors in rapid succession. This occurs on macOS 11.4 via Chrome and Safari.

Also, the Troubleshooting tool is incorrectly identifying my installed version of Google Chrome. I am running version 91.0.4472.114. Channels thinks I am running 76.0.3805.2.

Logs have been submitted as 215f3da5-a712-4699-9dee-51ce6b9d4804. I nabbed screenshots of the Javascript errors just in case the logs don't contain useful data. Let me know if you need them and I will e-mail the screenshots as well.

1 Like

Click the FIX button to upgrade the version of chrome installed on your Synology

For the JavaScript errors we need a screenshot or copy/paste of the error message.

Thanks for the feedback. I didn't realize that was an actual button.

Screenshots have been submitted via e-mail using the support string in the Subject line.

This is very cool, I pointed it to all my Alice Cooper concert videos and now I have an Alice Cooper channel! I may create more of these!

One thing, I noticed the Quick Guide doesn't work properly to let me go to other channels when on this virtual channel

Also, I agree with the suggestion that I need to show coverart. Looks like it pulled cover art for one officially released show? Most everything else didn't pull cover art. If included in the metadata, will it display it?

One of my videos which is a DVD rip that I made myself, plays but stops / start (stutters). Here's the media info from it. VLC and other players have no issue with it.

1 Like

You may want to try changing the video driver/decoder used (Settings > Playback > Advanced in the client app).

Also, please indicate which:

• Platform/OS (Apple/Android)
  • Device (Fire TV Stick 4K, Apple TV 4K, etc.)
  • Versions:
    • DVR
    • Client device OS
    • Client app

you are using. Things can differ greatly depending upon these things.

Thanks, changing from Hardware to Software did the trick.

I still can't seem to see movie collections on the client. I see virtual channels. I am using the Apple TV beta

Should it not be in Library>movies ?

Collections do not show up in the apps yet. They're only used to power Virtual Channels at the moment.

Love this feature, I can't wait until the Library Collections show up in the apps. Nice work!

4 Likes

Iā€™ll be honest I thought this sounded like a bit of a gimmick but I gave it a go and Iā€™m already hooked. So far Iā€™ve made a TV comedy channel for new and my wife with a mix of recorded content and old DVDs from ages ago and found myself lost in it for over an hour tonight enjoying some programmes Iā€™ve not watched in years. Also Iā€™ve set up a bunch of recording passes for all the programmes my kids like. They like to watch TV together but are at an age where the two year gap makes a big difference and thereā€™s a select few programmes they agree on from a couple of different channels. Not any longer! Now thereā€™s one channel just for them and using the keep recordings options I can keep it fresh by removing things theyā€™ve watched.

Amazing work! Occasionally Iā€™m finding the guide runs out for the virtual channels and I have to manually refresh it from the web Ui. Only things Iā€™m missing are channel logo and ability to set virtual channels as favourites from the web UI (important as I usually have all my clients forced into kiosks mode)

3 Likes

Literally just found a bug. and itā€™s reproducible. Tune into any channel from the guide on iOS beta app then tap to bring up the channel surfing view. Scroll to a virtual channel and tap on it to tune to that channel. Playback stops and youā€™re dumped back out to the guide view

Playback stopping bug is fixed in the next TestFlight beta.

2 Likes

I must be missing something obvious. Created a virtual channel and added a single TV Show from my imports (not recorded by Channels). When I click the channel I get a pop up asking me if I want to watch it from my library or live, which I wouldnā€™t really expect. If I pick library it plays a different video from my imports, not related to the tv show that makes up the channel. If I choose live it just spins and never plays. Submitted diagnostics from iOS client, which also appears to have submitted from the DVR as well. I see this error in the DVR logs:

2021/07/20 21:59:27.302879 [ERR] Could not start stream for VIRTUAL ch10001 Yo Gabba Gabba!: unsupported

Only works in beta app.

I was using the Beta app. Literally launched it from TestFlight. Just did it again to make sure.

And again and took a video this time. This also shows the issue where it says it canā€™t find the DVR randomly. Just happened to catch that as well.

https://share.icloud.com/photos/0aCqGqyr7opFc6yNM3ALb8mzQ

1 Like

New build is out with updates to Library Collection editing:

• Better browsing/searching for content.
  • Better UX when adding/removing content.
  • Order is preserved as you add/remove content.
  • Ability to re-order content.
  • Save button is no longer required. Everything is saved as you edit it.
6 Likes

This is working fantastic and really like the check boxes for selecting multiple items. New Bug: You can add a program more than once to a collection. If you delete one, it deletes all of them.

Very good, much clearer now what is happening. From above, I should clarify I meant the ability to re-order Collections themselves.

New build is out with updates to Virtual Channel editing:

• Better browsing/searching for content.
  • Better UX when adding/removing content.
  • Save button is no longer required. Everything is saved as you edit it.

This was fixed in the latest build.

1 Like