Problem: Live TV pauses, info bar is displayed (HDHR streams)

Having the same issue. Submitted diagnostics

I've been experiencing this too - HDHR in Australia using current version of app and DVR server. Will submit diagnostics next time it occurs.

This is not fixed. Any ideas ?

Seems to be most common on TVE sources for me, too.

Problem still seems to be happening. It’s better thought, I am seeing the menu/scrub bar appearing but no pause

same here - Australian HDHR channels, status bar appearing randomly during playback, but not pausing.

I may have fixed my pausing issue. I did some searching around on networking forums and two suggestions came up.

1. Turn off Ethernet Flow Control on my DVR which runs on a MacBook.
  2. Disable IPV6 on the MacBook.

I did both of these things this morning and have not had a single pause in the video on OTA or TVE all day. Fingers crossed I finally fixed this on my system.

2 Likes

Strangely, I'm struggling to disable ipv6 on my Mac mini. It is connected via ethernet and will not accept having no network address. Maybe I'll have to do it on my router instead.

Also, can you explain the Flow Control setting? I'm not familiar with it.

edit: I've managed to turn ipv6 off via the terminal. Not sure why it wasn't offered via the system preferences. Maybe a macOS bug. Anyway, now that it is off, it appears as an option in system preferences correctly. For anyone else with this issue, the command line for turning it off for an ethernet connection is:
networksetup -setv6off Ethernet

Flow control is in advanced ethernet settings. Settings>Network>Ethernet>Advanced>Hardware

Turn off Automatic under configure and manually select Duplex to Full Duplex without any Flow Control options.

Some versions of MACOS on certain machines do not have the option to turn flow control off.

Thanks, it appears that the automatic settings have it without flow-control already so I think I shall leave it set to automatic.

The IPv6 setting was really weird though. It just wasn't offering the option to turn it off until I did it via the terminal.

It does seem that IPV6 is the key to the pause issue. I turned it back on, leaving flow control off, and the the pauses in video came right back on almost any channel I picked.

So not being an expert in dual stack DNS network protocols my guess is: the TVE site is being contacted using either IPv4 or 6 first to establish the connection and authorize, but then switches over to the other protocol once the stream starts. Removing IPV6 keeps the whole process on one protocol. Just a guess, I will leave this to the network experts to tell me how wrong I am and send me away in shame.

:frowning:

I've no idea what TVE is I'm afraid. I see it mentioned a lot on the forums here, but we don't have it in the UK as far as I'm aware. I'm just using channels with Freeview which is our free, over the air digital broadcasts. We have a Silicon Dust tuner connected via ethernet to a Mac mini.

But I've not seen the weird pausing thing this evening after turning off IPv6 on the Mac mini earlier today. So I think your solution was correct.

TVE = TV Everywhere. In the States when you subscribe to cable TV or satellite TV services you also get the option to watch all those channels anywhere you are on any device by authorizing with your cable tv credentials on the website of that channel. So if I want to watch CNN on my iPad at the beach I go to CNN.com and login with my Directv (SkyTV) credentials. That is what Channels is doing, it goes to the website of the provider, logs in and sets up the stream to the Channels app.

I also noticed that my off air tuner stopped pausing. I think there has to be some kind of IPV4/6 handoff happening. Since you are on a totally different brand of router and modem than I am it rules out the network gear in our homes. Since OTA does not go out to external DNS servers or the internet at all it rules out a provider issue. It just leaves something that is happening in Channels when both protocols are active.

UPDATE: Realized my HDHR tuner does not even have an ipv6 interface. So no idea why killing ipv6 on the DVR solves the pause issue with the tuner.

UPDATE 2: So the more I think on this the more in the weeds it gets. My HDHR is not in tuner sharing mode, so technically the signal is not even passing thru the DVR. So unless there is still some kind of data exchange between my Apple TV, the MacBook and the tuner I can’t figure out how ipv6 on the MacBook even comes into play here. With TVE it makes more sense, all TVE passes thru the DVR.

It does seem very strange. But I haven't noticed any pausing since turning off IPv6 on my Mac mini DVR server. Will keep an eye on it, but it does seem to be the culprit.

Perhaps a macOS networking bug rather than something Channels / DVR specific?

Could be a Mac thing. If I use my HDHR tuner directly on the HDHR app on my ATV I never see a pause. So something with the MacBook ethernet stack that is funky? Beyond my scope expertise.

No, I’m running my DVR on a Synology DS1821+ with a ton of RAM installed and I’m still experiencing the problem

1 Like

With ipv6 turned off? For me its gone, no more pauses. Turn it back on and the pauses return instantly.

1 Like