Problem recording "same" show twice in the same day

Hi all -

yesterday PBS NewsHour announced that they would be having a special west-coast broadcast on a daily basis. i looked all over the place and could not find it in the guide, but this morning i realized that they are probably just showing the "regular" program at 3PM PST and the new broadcast is shown at 7PM PST.

problem is, both shows appear in the guide with the exact same name, and i assume, same ShowID. despite telling the DVR to record "all episodes" it seems like it doesn't want to record the 2nd showing, ostensibly because the metadata is all the same.

is there a way to force this? do i have to make another season pass that somehow calls out the time (i assume this can't be done except with the web interface...)

thanks,

rob

2 Likes

You can record the West Coast version using an advanced pass -- and yes, you have to use the web interface.

However, note that Channels will only keep 1 recording of that News Hour episode. This means you either have to delete your East Coast broadcast pass, or you have to delete manually delete the East Coast recording every day before the West Coast broadcast begins.

Here's what my West Coast News Hour advanced pass looks like. My PBS affiliate airs the rebroadcast at 6pm, but you may need to adjust that based on the program schedule of your PBS station.

well that's no good... under the assumption that the programs are going to actually be unique every day. i guess today i'll just sit my butt in front of the TV at 7PM and see what happens.

well i had to go to a talk and missed the 7PM broadcast... so will have to check tomorrow.

I am experiencing a similar problem. It would be nice if you can manually select any program to record, and actually have it record.

My issue is if a recording is scheduled and interrupted, even if I manually select another showing of that same episode later in the day, it won’t allow me to record it. It shows a record button, and you can click on it - it acts as if it is set to record because it backs out of that menu, but it doesn’t actually schedule it to record. The DVR knows that the other recording failed, why wouldn’t it automatically schedule the next airing or allow you to manually schedule it?? I’m learning that the only way to work around this is to open up the web ui and browse to each failed instance and delete it. Then it will allow you to re-record. It doesn’t seem like that’s a solution that will help you though.

It would be nice if it would just allow us to record whatever we manually set to record....right???

2 Likes

The issue is just that failed recordings is kind of new thing that only really started to happen when a lot of people started using TVE. As an example, recoding PBS NewsHour using an OTA antenna and an HDHomeRun is highly reliable and will almost never fail.... unless something crazy happens like your DVR explodes or PBS decides to go out of business and stop broadcasting during the show.

On the contrary, recording PBS NewsHour over TVE relies on a multitude of external factors, many of which have a much higher probability of failing. So the introduction of the somewhat unreliable TVE has also introduced users with failed recordings. Its a new thing that is specific to this extra TVE feature. It will probably get better in the future as devs find workarounds.

My situation has nothing to do with TVE, my failed recording was due to a power outage. Regardless though on how the recording fails, it would be nice to have the DVR automatically reschedule the recording if it’s airing at another time - OR - allow the user to manually select the next repeat airing and record it.

The problem is, you can’t manually select another recording because the DVR won’t allow it, even though it knows that the recording failed. You have to manually go into the web UI and delete the failed recording before it will allow you to select another airing of the show.

I’m ok with it not automatically rescheduling the recording, but it should allow me to manually search and record it without having to delete the failed recording in the web UI first. That’s not very convenient for anyone, especially if your primary usage is on an Apple TV or iPad - I don’t want to have to navigate the web UI just for that.

1 Like

Resurrecting this thread to see if a fix/workaround for this is on the developer's radar.

My specific case is tomorrow where the 6 hours at Spa FIA endurance race airs on Motortrend twice. The start of the race at 4am-5.30am and the end of the race 9.30am-11am.

Unfortunately the guide data is, as we know, "lacking somewhat in both quality and quantity". And in this case lists the two shows as if the second one was a repeat of the first one, which clearly isn't the case. So I need a way to manually force the second show to record. As it is I'll either miss the start or the end of the race :frowning:

Ran across the problem and my workaround is to manually record either the program immediately before or after either the first or second airing you want and pad it to get what I want.

+1 for letting us choose to override the logic that the guide is always correct

1 Like

There is a setting for that now. When you setup the recording, select “All episodes” and the DVR will record every episode.

You would think that "All" means ALL, but actually Channels DVR will NOT record the same episode twice.
It's a guide data issue in this case.
Screenshot_2020-08-14 Channels DVR(1)

1 Like

Yup, this is exactly what I see too.

I'll use your sneaky workaround and record the next show and just set the pre-recording time to the 1.30 hour length of the recording i actually want. :thumbsup:

There is the option to set conditions for an Advanced Pass in the DVR UI. DVR>Passes>Settings(upper right side, looks like a gear)>New Advanced Pass

I’m not very skilled at this, but it looks easy enough. You’d have to decide which condition to use.

You may be thinking of a TiVo One Pass where the choices are New & reruns, New only, Everything
In that case 'Everything' will record every showing of the series and you will get duplicates.
There is no way to do this in Channels DVR.

1 Like

I have never used TIVO.

You're missing the point.
Channels DVR uses the TMS ProgramID which is unique per episode.
Gracenote quide data says both showings are the same episode (ProgramID EP021538460121) of the show "FIA World Endurance Championship" (tmsId SH021538460000).
So Channels DVR will not record them both.

Like Howdy said, it thinks the later showing is a rerun of the first one.

1 Like

I didn't miss the point, I don't know. I've never actually used the Advanced Pass, but it seems like you would have a lot of options to set using it. Just a suggestion.

Well, sorry, but I'm afraid you are. The option you are pointing to doesn't do what you say you think it's doing. Channels DVR will only record a given show once. You have an option in Advanced Pass to select to re-record deleted shows (it's in your own screenshot) but that only works after you have, well deleted it, which is not what my issue was.

1 Like