Problems recording OTA

i started having these same problems 2 days ago also. pixelation and audio stuttering, with the audio turning robotic from time to time. it’s occurring on Synology NAS 218+. it’s happening on recorded OTA broadcasts and also while watching live OTA through channels app. i rebooted everything (NAS and router) and still happening. i switched to viewing live tv through native HDHomerun app and no issues - same OTA channel clean and no stuttering. Seems to only be happening while in Channels app. Previously was having no issues.

This sounds like a network issue between the HDHR and DVR. Are they plugged into the same switch?

Does the dvr Log show any errors?

Check my.hdhomerun.com under Tuner Status for Signal Strength/Quality and Network Rate.

Also recommend you run a speedtest to the TV from your DVR: Frequently Asked Questions

Thanks. DVR log does not show any errors, but the video for DVR recordings is definately impacted and same with the live OTA channels. Only thing I did not reboot was the HDHomerun itself, so I have just unplugged it (HDHomerun Quatro), let it sit for a minute and then replug. It changed IP addresses so I scanned network in Channeld DVR settings and it picked up new IP for HD Homerun no problem

The HDHomerun and Synology NAS running Channels DVR are both on ethernet into the same switch and then ethernet into the main router.

The Apple TV is ethernet to the router too and getting about 131 Mbps - so that looks plenty large enough.

HDHomerun showing Signal strength 97%, signal quality 100% and streaming rate at 14 Mbps. All looks good there.

Issue was also happening on other platforms (Channels app on iPhone Wifi, Channels app on iPad Wifi), but when using HDHomerun native app on Apple TV, iPhone and iPad, no issues with the channel quality. Switch to Channels app, same channel, it was pixelated again.

I then realized I had not rebooted the HDhomerun, so maybe that just needs a little reboot to reset proper connectivity/stream to the NAS DVR.

I'm new to all this, so not sure how often these devices need rebooting. Wouldnt think the NAS needs a reboot often, but so far after rebooting the HDHomerun it appears better. Need more time to validate, but first tests on iPhone show smooth streaming now.

Would working in a regular reboot of the HDHomerun be something to have into my monthly routine? Uptime for HDHomerun would only have been about 3 weeks, its all pretty new and no issues until 2 days ago when the symptoms just started without any change.

Fingers crossed it just needed the reboot - i hope. Everything else looks clean.

1 Like

The HDHR should not require a reboot, nor should any other piece of the system. SiliconDust support will be able to collect diagnostics and help if the issue is always fixed by reboot. It is strange that it would happen only in Channels though.

If it happens again, make sure Tuner Sharing in the app is off before testing and then click Submit Diagnostics > Video Player.

1 Like

Thanks - will do. appreciate the guidance - i found it odd too so I came here to the forums to see if anyone else had similar experience and saw the original thread that was a solid match for my symptoms. hopefully with everything on clean boot now, we are back in business. all tests good so far. thanks again.

will report back here if symptoms recur and send logs to SiliconDust support.