Provider - Spectrum

Discourse is the software that runs community.getchannels.com

Since it's not specific to Spectrum where you posted, and the devs haven't got back to you, I would post a new topic in the TV Everywhere area
https://community.getchannels.com/c/channels-dvr/tv-everywhere/

and use a descriptive subject, like TVE FSN-Wisconsin, is anyone having issues getting this TVE FSN Regional Channel, or something like that. That way others in WI will see it, since they're probably not looking at Spectrum posts.

I haven't seen anyone say they get FSN-Wisconsin

I stand corrected. I must have been thinking of something else.

I thought Aman was already looking into it earlier in this thread, but I went ahead and added a new post just for this issue as you suggested.

Thanks.

Anyone having a Spectrum streaming outage? Don't know why it would be affecting TVE also.

im getting authz retries failed on several different channels, buut not all. Dont know what is up.

Did you just add the Spectrum TVE source and scan for all available channels? If so, have you tried to rescan each of the channels individually this afternoon?

One thing I came to realize about Spectrum and TVE authorization was that it's using your IP address to authenticate channels.

Based on my experience:

• If you are on your home network, TVE will authenticate for all channels (likely without a login needed)
  • If you are not on your home network, TVE will authenticate for some channels with a login
  • If you are on another network using Spectrum service, but not the same one with the TV package it will give you an error "Access to this program is not included in your Spectrum TV subscription." The same happens when attempting to use a Spectrum TVE login using individual apps while on a Spectrum network other than the one with the subscription package.

As long as you authenticate the apps using the home network, it worked. I couldn't figure out why some apps were authenticating and others said I didn't have access, but that was why.

1 Like

My Channels DVR server never leaves my house. I connect to the server remotely when I travel with Fire TV stick, android phone, etc.

Under what circumstances does your server leave the house?

You don't carry your server around with you? Is it really that uncommon? :thinking:

Using a VPN on your home network or the server computer would change its public IP address. The post wasn't about the physical location of the server, but rather different methods Spectrum apparently has in validating TVE subscriptions.

I simply wanted to share my findings in case it helped anyone else, regardless of their use case. :+1:

Ah, so you snuck a VPN in there. Gotcha. I thought you were traveling with your nVidia Shield for a minute there. Definitely appreciate the added experience.

Not quite IP address. It's the MAC of the DOCSIS modem. What ever services are associated to the account owning the modem is what you get.

FWIW - I have Spectrum service in Honolulu and I use it with Channels DVR's in Honolulu and California. There are 463 stations listed on my HDHomeRun Prime in Honolulu, 417 of which are hidden due to DRM [grumble]. I also have TVE in addition to the Prime so that I can implement a "whole home DVR" in Honolulu because Spectrum doesn't offer that service anymore. The Spectrum TVE source in Honolulu lists 171 channels. The Spectrum TVE source in California lists 176 channels. There are a few channels that show up only in Honolulu, and a few that only show up in California, but most channels (about 165) are available on both DVRs.

Spectrum in Honolulu was formerly Oceanic Time Warner Cable. Consequently, the policies and agreements related to TVE providers might be different than Spectrum services elsewhere.

Gratuitous trivia: If you were a fan of "Lost", you've seen Oceanic Time Warner's logo - it was used as the logo for the Oceanic Airlines flight that crashed at the start of the series.

1 Like

Is there even a possibility of ever adding the IP-based locals (direct from spectrum) to TVEverywhere? Unfortunately, this would end up being a deal-breaker for me on Channels, as i need the locals via streaming to get conjoining markets. The "national" ones won't fly.

No. Channels will work with QAM cable feeds (ClearQAM with any HDHR tuner, encrypted QAM feeds with a CableCARD and a Prime), or using your credentials for TVE feeds from the network websites.

IP-based cable is not something supported by Channels. (I doubt it is something that will ever be supported. The IP route is what cable companies are doing to skirt around the CableCARD requirements.)

How did you connect to your spectrum app?

Hi, Ian. I downloaded the Spectrum app to my Android device and logged in.

Are you trying to ask how to use your Spectrum account with Channels DVR?

I'm trying to add my TV provider, 'Spectrum Business' so that I can use the Channels App with this service. When I try to authenticate I get the following error: 'We're sorry, this app is unavailable for Spectrum Business customer's. Reference code ELI-1015. Are there any workarounds?

Thanks,

TG

DABL on TVE providers Spectrum and Philo does not appear to be working last few days. It is available on their website: https://www.dabl.com/schedule