Provider - Xfinity

Remove the whole folder or just the files? I didn’t realize this. And sorry, I have two accounts on here for two locations, so I get myself confused on which account I’m responding on (one is remote management)

OK I tried these steps and they didn’t work. Still can get a channel like ESPN but can’t get NBCSports Philly/Philly+ and get the previously posted error 403.

I clicked fix several times and it would just spin and then stop. Then I would try the Troubleshooter again and it would still report Chrome out of date.

I’ll have to see if Discovery also doesn’t come in and/or gives me that same 403 error.

I’m not using a VPN, but I am far away from the area where the authenticated TVE source is. I am using my parents Xfinity account near Philly in which I am the main account contact because I take care of it for them because they’re too old to understand all this stuff.

I’m in Hawaii so could it be detecting that I’m outside the area, aka “Out of Home” and giving me that error? It never did before.

My IP should still show as a US address I’d think.

OK, I am not sure what happened or if you ( @tmm1 ) did anything on your end, but it is working now. Maybe when I logged into Xfinity on my Mac to see if it worked there, as requested, that kicked something on, idk?

I guess we will see how long this lasts.

1 Like

Does anything need to be done after deleting the chromedata directory?
Like tuning to a channel or rescanning all or individual channels?
I'm trying to avoid errors that happen every couple of weeks with scheduled recordings, mainly DIY channel.

Thanks for the tip!

The last error I fixed by removing/adding the TVE source was TLC getting a 403 error.

I just now deleted the chromedata folder after stopping the Channels DVR docker container.
I then tuned to DIY, which worked and there's nothing in the log about authenticating.

Will the chromedata folder get recreated at some point and I'll have to do this again?

The folder was recreated after re-authing all the Discovery Network channels a few minutes ago.

Should I delete it again or wait for a recording to fail first?

Trying to understand this thing about the chromedata folder.

It appears Channels DVR creates it when it needs to authorize some channels.
I tested this by authorizing the channels I watch or record, then deleted the chromedata folder.
I then tuned to a channel I never watch and in the process of authorizing the channel it created the chromedata folder again.

If the folder contents (cookies?) hang around until that channel needs re-authed again, it causes problems.

Is this correct?

Did my every few days password change, remove and re-add to prevent issues, and stumbled on something. Manually rescanning any of the discovery networks channels comes up with 'not in subscription' even after just removing and re-adding Xfinity. Other channels (non discovery networks) rescan and work. So it seems like the only time those channels work is right after the initial channel scan from adding Xfinity. A manual rescan of one of the channels will break it. It's not a time period before they stop working, or watching where we login on what, this seems like it's not related to any passwords, what we're doing, etc because it never reauthorizes with a manual channel scan ever. Only with the initial scan. Can whatever is being done during that scan be implemented for when it needs to reauthorize?

I think they did
After you add the source and rescan any missing channels, delete the chromedata folder.
When a channel needs reauthed it recreates that folder automatically.
Then delete the folder again. No need to remove and readd the TVE source.

See this

and this

Nobody is replying, so the only way I'll know is when it happens again.

Speaking of XFINITY is there a way to do a full rescan of the comcast source through CLI ?

I'm having trouble finding that folder in here anywhere.

By deleting a chromedata folder and rescanning TVE source gave me some channels that said not in subscription before like Hallmark Drama.

@tmm1 .. Is there a way to force a full rescan of the TVE source using CLI in windows.

So where is the Chromedata folder at

It's where Channels DVR installs its runtime code on your DVR server.
Search the DVR log for 'Starting Channels DVR'

2021/07/12 15:17:19.748423 [SYS] Starting Channels DVR v2021.07.12.1959 (linux-x86_64 pid:7) in /channels-dvr/data

In my case '/channels-dvr/data' is a mount within the docker container that maps to a directory on my NAS.
The chromedata folder is in that data folder '/channels-dvr/data/chromedata'

1 Like

/data/data/com.getchannels.dvr/files/channels-dvr/data

Looks pretty generic so I would imagine that path will be the same for others using a shield. Now to get to it and poke around.

Would it be possible to setup a script to automatically delete the folder every day? I don'y know how to write the scripts, just know how to follow directions lol

Easy to do on Windows Runs as Admin .. not sure on others.
rmdir /Q /S "C:\ProgramData\ChannelsDVR\data\chromedata"

1 Like

I stopped being able to see some channels again today (mainly Discovery based channels) via xfinity, so I deleted the chromedata folder, but it didn't work. before deleting, i was getting No Auth Token messages, after deleting (and restarting the channels server), I saw messages that were more verbose, like this channel is not authorized, etc.

I am fairly new to this TVE process. I currently have FUBO and an outside antenna wit HDHomerun. I have Comcast internet and FUBO. I am paying $76 for internet and 70 for FUBO. Comcast is offering me the same speed internet and 125 channels for two years for $80+taxes. As I understand it, I won't need any Comcast equipment to get Comcast on Channels (which I love). And it seems from reading that almost all of the Comcast TV channel will come in as TVE. If I am correct, the Comcast offer will save me a lot of money. Suggestions and help for a Newbie.

So without any equipment, I still have this service fee that you will most likely also have.

It would still save you some money by dropping fubo, in lieu of this new plan, but I'm thinking more in the $40 - $50 range and be aware that the Xfinity tve still has a few kinks and requires maintenance to keep all the channels working without any interruptions. That's all talked about in the Xfinity threads.

Are you not already using Channels DVR? If you are new to channels, next would be coming up with a server setup. It can run on plenty of different devices, computer, Nas, shield, and more so try to define your needs such as how many clients will you have potentially watching at once, how much do you think the maximum number of simultaneous recordings will be, how much storage space would you like, will you be using remote viewing, etc. That should all play into your decisions.