Provider - YouTube TV

Not youtube, but xfinity.
The headless chrome used with the Synology package is older (v97).
I migrated my TVE servers to run in docler containers using the new Channels DVR TVE container, which uses chrome v109.

I just installed the latest pre-release 2023.02.19.2355 and it seems to have fixed the issue. Discovery owned channels seem to be working as well.

Where would I find information on how to do that?

I'm running that pre-release and still getting the captcha's. Wondering if this is all based on running a synology server?

1 Like

I wouldn't attempt this unless you're already using Docker on your Synology and are familiar with it.

If you have already installed and run something like the ESPNPlus, FrndlyTV or Pluto dockers, this should be easy. If you're not familiar with using docker, there are posts all over this Forum to read and you can create a new Topic if you need assistance. This Topic is not about docker, containers or Synology NAS's.

Spoiler

Obviously on a Synology you need to have the Docker Package installed and running first.

Make a database backup in Channels DVR, just in case you need to revert/restore.

Stop the Channels DVR Synology Package.

My Synology Package install was using port 8089 and shared folder /volume1/chDVRtve for recordings, so you'll have to adjust these instructions to what you're using.

Create the directory /volume1/docker/channels-dvr for the Channels DVR TVE container to use for storing its code/config.

Pull the latest Channels DVR TVE docker container image and run it with the same port and volume mapping the Synology Package was using.

docker pull fancybits/channels-dvr:tve
docker run --detach --env TZ=America/Los_Angeles --name=channels-dvr-tve -p 8089:8089/tcp --restart=unless-stopped --volume /volume1/docker/channels-dvr:/channels-dvr --volume /volume1/chDVRtve:/shares/dvr fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

Tell Channels DVR to use /shares/dvr (which the container maps to the same one used by the Synology Package /volume1/chDVRtve)

Success for me today with QNAP and YTTV and 2023.02.19.2355. I had to delete the YoutubeTV profile in the data directory: /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr/data/chromedata]. A new scan then triggered the security alert email which I accepted and was able to scan channels. The Discovery channels failed (googleLogin missing) but it's a start.

1 Like

An easier way to do that is just key in your current password using Update Password
Screenshot 2023-02-20 at 13-39-21 Channels Settings

3 Likes

From what I understand, that does not clear the YoutubeTV chromedata folder. I did that several times and it did not clear that folder on Windows, I had to manually delete the folder

1 Like

Fwiw, once I finally added the tve source, I had to dump that folder, then scan one Discovery channel. Once that authenticated, I repeated the process until they all authenticated successfully.

Omg. Thank you! I was going crazy trying to get YouTube logged back in for a week. This fixed it.

1 Like

Deleting the chromedata folder and re-adding YTTY fixed my issue as well. I was starting to lean towards that next step and you guys gave me the confirmation to try it - thanks.

Issues related to chromedata are fixed in v2023.02.21.1839 prerelease.

3 Likes

So does this fix the captcha issue?

I switched from Sling TV to a new YouTube TV account this week. Went to my Channels account to try to add YTTV, and got the NBC captcha fail... Came and found and read this thread.

I downloaded and installed the beta version of the Channels software, and then went to the NBC Live website to authenticate myself there using my YTYTV credentials.... Then came back to Channels, tried to set up YTTV as a TVE service, and voila!... everything worked fine and it's currently scanning and adding my various TVE channels from YTTV...

So in short, yes, the beta Channels software combined with the NBC authentication, for me, did entirely solve the acess problem!

I've been away from YTTV as a Channels DVR service for more than a year or so... And so when my new setup was finally successfully done, the one thing that surprised me in particular was....

For my CA Bay Area location, the only of the major local affiliates that even showed up as TVE in Channels was the local CBS affiliate, and the locals from ABC, NBC and Fox were nowhere to be found, even though all the other Fox cable channels did populate.

I'm in a major metro area, and it seems strange that I'm not getting TVE via Channels for three of the four major OTA networks. And no regular PBS as well.

1 Like

Yeah you will find that different TVE providers have different deals/setups for locals. PBS decided to add DRM. So that screwed everyone.

I am using Windows 11. Dont have any firewall issues. Getitng the cant authenticate NBC Screen. I can login into NBC and see live TV so that doesnt seem to be the issue. Any ideas?

1 Like

Try these TVE Troubleshooting tips

Also note from the first post in this Topic

Trying to add You Tube TV as a source on my QNAP NAS..
keep getting "chrome failed to start" almost instantly; have loaded
latest Beta of Channels and You Tube TV does work properly on my
Windows 11 machine just fine
Any ideas?

1 Like

While I did not have this issue previously setting up TVE on YTTV and getting local channels, I was experimenting with setting up on Windows and (other than the exasperating authentication CAPTCHA loop requiring the "--user-data-dir=" workaround...

Thanks.

1 Like