QuadStream + Channels DVR

I tried this Saturday but it didn’t work for me. It would “loop” a segment of the program several times before moving on to the next part and do the same again. Has anyone else had that happen?

1 Like

I think there is a "loop" setting in the app settings It may be on...

Rob

1 Like

Also make sure you stop the feeds or force quit the app. Not just with the menu button. Or the streams will be running in the background for a awhile.

1 Like

This is awesome! Is there a way I can stream these from outside my local network? I have remote access on got an Oauth token via the web interface, tried passing that in the URL a few different ways with no luck.

1 Like

I just wanted to express my gratitude for this thread. Last night was streaming nirvana. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

I love QuadStream so much. It appears development has stopped (and I certainly have a few UI feature requests to make it even better) but it's still my favorite AppleTV app (after Channels, of course) and I'm pleased as punch it works as well as it does.

I'm also using Quad Stream but it's transcoding.

I'm running ChannelsDVR on a Ubuntu VM in VMware that doesn't have a GPU.

I added ?codec=copy to the end of the M3U8 URL. I tried master and stream.

http://IPADDRESS:8089/devices/ANY/channels/CHANNEL#/hls/master.m3u8?codec=copy
http://IPADDRESS:8089/devices/ANY/channels/CHANNEL#/hls/stream.m3u8?codec=copy

Is is it possible to send streams direct or must they be transcoded?

Thanks!

QuadStream can only play h264 afaik, so yes OTA feeds would have to be transcoded.

Thanks fo the quick reply.

Transcoding works but very taxing. Any tweaks to transcoding that can lower CPU? I have all the defaults set in the GUI.

Thanks!

Any plans for PiP now that tvOS14 is out? This could ease the need to use QuadStream.

Thanks!

Have the requirements changed? Previously PIP on Apple could not be H.262/MPEG-2, which is what is natively sent by HDHR tuners.

I didn't know there were requirements. Should have done more reading before I assumed. Thanks for the info.

Thank you thank you thank you to those who suggested. This is great 2 OTA feeds and 2 TVE feeds).

1 Like

Anyway to do this with a NVidia client and Windows 10 Server? I have a 120 projection TV we watch college football on, this would be awesome if we could get this to work.

It depends upon how much effort you want to exert. If you like, you doing some like create a 4-up stream on your Windows server with Ffmpeg, and then feed Ffmpeg's output to VLC on the Shield.

Here is just one example of how to use Ffmpeg to create the 4-up feed:

https://trac.ffmpeg.org/wiki/Create%20a%20mosaic%20out%20of%20several%20input%20videos

With a bit of creativity, you could even find ways to use your graphics card to hardware accelerate the video scaling and composition, and take each channel's audio stream as a separate selectable audio source in the final composed feed. The options are basically endless, just limited by your creativity, drive and willingness to experiment.

1 Like

Oh lord, you are trying to tax my nearly 50 year old brain.....

1 Like

mine too, and I am only few years younger :smiley:

When setting this up, if I want to point to a remote apple tv, would I just use my outside IP address instead of the local address?

Only work with local/public address

Is it possible to add support for some kind of URL that just passes off a direct TVE stream to the QuadStream app without remuxing? The one annoyance I have with this app is if I don't force close, a remux can go on perpetually.