QuadStream + Channels DVR

Just seeing this thread. Although I use Shields for playback, integrating a quad or split screen natively into Channels would be amazing. I would pay a premium for this feature. I use a projector to watch my content and have a ton of screen real estate.

Here's another app if you want up to 16 live streams at the same time.

ChannelsDVR Server 2021.03.31.2356

Did something change in this version? It looks like I'm not able to view streams by http anymore.

http://{ChannelsDVR}:8089/devices/TVE-Dish/channels/6033/stream.mpg?format=ts

When I try to view this channel in safari, it doesn't play (just a window of a broken link appears) and the following appears in the channels log:

2021/04/01 22:52:16.930229 [TVE] stream timestamps: tbs: start_at=2021-04-01T22:42:15-07:00 current_at=2021-04-01T22:51:51-07:00 end_at=2021-04-01T22:52:03-07:00
2021/04/01 22:52:16.930289 [TNR] Opened connection to TVE-Dish for ch6033 TBS
2021/04/01 22:52:17.052155 [TNR] Closed connection to TVE-Dish for ch6033 TBS

Is anyone else having this problem? Any ideas on how to fix?

Still working for me. The format for my streams is this:

http://{ChannelsDVR}:8089/devices/ANY/channels/{ChannelNumber}/hls/master.m3u8

Thank you for checking for me!

How do you copy and paste from a web browser to an Apple TV?

Use the remote in Control Center on an iOS device. Or if you don’t have one, there are apps that pretend to be a Bluetooth keyboard.

OK, not quite sure how that works, but will look into it. Thanks.

Here’s Apple’s support article. The remote control surface will be replaced with a text field when you can paste and usually you get notifications letting you pop a keyboard too.

Thanks

1 Like

I found it much, much easier to configure these apps using their web admin pages instead, via a browser on my laptop. Entering them directly on the AppleTV is very clunky.

I realize this off topic but can you clarify what you mean by using the SSD for streaming only? I have a basically empty 250gb SSD in my MBP and store recordings on an attached usb drive. Is there something that I should change the utilize the SSD for better performance like you describe? Do I need to move a folder somewhere else?

My default DVR storage path is set to an external USB HD. Then I created a symbolic link (soft link) to my Mac mini internal 256GB SSD streaming folder path to get a better performance for multiple live streaming. All of my recordings still goes to the external USB HD.

Here’s an example of the MacOS Terminal command:

ln -s /system/volumes/data/users/user1/dvr/Streaming /volumes/data/dvr/Streaming

I’ll be honest I have a poor understanding of terminal commands but I’ll try this. So do I need to create a folder on my desktop called “streaming” before I enter this command or will it automatically be created?

1. Create the Streaming folder on your desktop
  2. Delete the Channels DVR Streaming folder
  3. Run the Terminal command (make sure change to your own from/to folder path). This will create a soft link from Channels DVR Streaming path to your desktop Streaming folder path

Ok so I messed around with this before you replied. I have the link setup on my desktop when I double click it shows all of the same files that exist on my external drive. So all I need to do is delete the streaming folder on the external drive, is this correct?

Yes delete the Streaming folder on the external drive and run the terminal command to create the soft link to your desktop Streaming folder path

So I think I have this working now. So the streaming folder is strictly for TVE recordings not OTA, right? So the main benefit of using the symbolic link with the ssd is the much quicker load times, right?

The Streaming folder uses for all sources including live streaming and transcoding. In general SSD gives you better read/write performance when using with multiple live streams via m3u, web player, and remote viewing outside the house.

1 Like

Great thanks for the info and I appreciate your help.