Rebuild network using Moca

I don't think it looks that bad. The picture I posted above is the view out my office window of the alleyway between my house and the neighbor's house. There are incoming/outgoing wires for internet coax, ethernet, power, antenna coax, plus my neighbor has TV, phone, and power going to his house. And there are overhead wires for other houses in the neighborhood. But none of this is visible from the front of the house. It is only accessible by my neighbor and me. So who cares?

Starting to get the stuff I ordered. Not sure if anyone has this one, but we're fixing to try it out.

Awesome. I was told that the closer to the antenna you place the filter the better results. No idea why that's the case, but it's what I did. :wink:

1 Like

Found this while taking a dump at work. Good read so far, I'll finish it up later. Someone asked about the goCoax, it's in there.

Just to follow up since I posted here a few months ago:

I got the Actiontec Moca 2.5 adapters and they work beautifully. Once I went down to the basement and untangled the web of cables that a Verizon technician probably installed a decade ago, I put in a new splitter and the Actiontecs and now have wired backhaul for my eeros. Setup is basically plug and play.

Although I got a pair on prime day for a good discount, I highly recommend trying your luck with the Amazon warehouse refurbished adapters for anyone looking to add these to your network. Just got a third one for about $50 and it works perfectly.

3 Likes

I contributed to this discussion and wanted to give an update. I sold my home and have moved to an apartment while I build a new one. Where my home had a crazy amount of coax runs but no Ethernet, the apartment I'm in has only one coax line and zero Ethernet. I was quite disappointed. None of the apartments (where there was availability) I had looked at had anything to offer in terms of setting up a network. So I Googled options.

I landed on this setup:

This was an expensive option but I decided to give it a try. Overall this setup is good enough. I'm using TVE and Locast (my HDHR's are in storage). The price includes 2 mesh points.

My TV's are all wireless (Android TV's). So far I have not had any issues being completely wireless with Channels DVR.

My speed test in the Channels DVR App reports 250mb down and 20ms latency. Not ideal at all, but, because the coax cable for my modem is in the living room corner exactly where a TV would not be, I have one mesh point located there that provides Internet access using my cable modem. The second mesh point is in my office and I have Channels DVR plugged into one of the gigabit ports. The Channels DVR communicates with the Channels App over a Wifi 6 backbone to the main mesh point. The TV connects to the main mesh point wireless as well. So the entire setup depends on a wireless implementation.

If I take a really really long Ethernet cable and connect the TV (and not use the TV's WiFi) to the main access point, I get speed test at 910mb and 6ms latency back to the Channels DVR using the WiFi 6 backbone. But there is nowhere to hide the Ethernet cable so the TV is connected via WiFi.

I'm researching how to have the TV's connect to the mesh point hosting the Channels DVR server and not use the closest mesh point in the living room. It appears I can setup a SID only for the hosting mesh point. On the to-do list.

Again, not an ideal situation but it does work well, skip back/forward and channel changes are about the same as my old MOCA network that I can tell.

2 Likes

Does that model support a wired backhaul between the router and point?

Yes

Sorry to bring back a dead one. I finally picked up a pair of Actiontec ECB7250 adapters on eBay for $85. Think I got a pretty good deal.

It's a pretty small coax system in this 2 story condo with only 3 things connected outside on the main splitter. The input from Comcast and two outputs, one for each floor. So I was thinking is it possible to forgo a powered moca amplifier since it's such a small configuration? I was thinking about getting 2 of these splitters, one for the outside of the house, and the other for the adapter hookup next to the modern. I think that's all that's needed for splitters but I'm sure there is a third in the attic to create the two upstairs bedrooms' hookups. I didn't see it last time I was up there, so maybe I should order 3 of the splitters just in case.

I should buy these filters since I won't be using a powered amplifier with a built in filter (requires a separate power inserter?):

I should hookup a filter outside to each of the 2 outputs or inside at each of the wall coax hookups inline with the adapter?

Believe it or not, POE stands for Point Of Entry.
You place one POE filter where the coax comes into your residence to prevent MOCA signals from escaping your house.

2 Likes

Ok, so just one filter on the main line. And replace all accessible splitters with the moca ones. Seems easy enough. Thanks again, I always trust your advice.

So I've been using a pair of Actiontec ecb7250 for a few months. Poe filter connected outside, and 2 moca capable splitters (one outside, one inside). They connected on the first try. The HDHR is connected to the moca extended portion of the network along with a Chromecast, both into a switch being fed by one of the Actiontecs. No issues. The first part of the network is a SHIELD and the other Actiontec adapter connected to the router. On the SHIELD, after some time while watching an ota channel, how long it takes can vary, there is a visible hiccup, at which point sometimes the banner for network problems is displayed, but at that point, any continued watching is choppy with out of sync audio. The lips don't match up. So I guess dropped frames and audio out of sync. Pausing / unpausing playback will usually fix it. Sometimes it gets so janked up I have to reload the channel backing out to the guide and back in. This is on the shield on the first part of the network. I don't really have the option to move the tuner to the same physical part of the network as the DVR, but I suspect possibly that will fix it? Seems like it shouldn't do that, and isn't necessarily an issue with my network. I'm not sure how to proceed. Submit diagnostics once it happens?

I had trouble with Actiontec. Moved to Motorola a year ago and haven’t touched them. Running two them.

I had same issue, no response yet

Suggest submitting diags, if only to get a look.

Is your tuner also hooked up over moca?

No, which points to something more general, which moca may have a hand in bringing out.

1 Like

We need to find what is common between us. Is the tuner hooked up on a different physical part of network than the DVR?

I have my tuner (HDFX-4K) on MOCA 1. I have an Apple TV 4K on MOCA 2. They are in different rooms. I have a MOCA/Cable RF AMP/ Filter on my entrance point for my home. All Coax terminates in the low voltage closet. My internet is 300 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. This is a screen shot from Apple TV on MOCA 2. I have 7 channels clients running in my house along with Smarthub, security cameras, Doorbell..etc. I had lots of issues with the ActionTec units. I tried a Motorola from Prime and no issues with the tuner. Added a second just to see if my media room liked it...and it did. While I have no proof the ActionTec's are questionable, I know the Motorola MOCA devices are solid.

2 Likes

I have issues with the ActionTecs but I don't have the Motorolas to compare to. Live OTA video from the tuner becomes choppy and is not in sync with the audio. A few seconds pause will fix it. This only happens on the first leg of the network, before any Moca. Also, if I enable Moca in the Xfinity gateway's settings, I can remove the first adaptor and Internet works at the second adapter where there is a 4 port switch with the tuner and a Chromecast connected. The Chromecast will detect and play from the tuner, but anything on the first leg of the network before it goes through Moca will detect the tuner, but display "Tuner unavailable" message. Not even the Hdhomerun app will work. I have to use both adapters despite the Xfinity gateway having support for Moca. I've decided to run an outdoor Cat 6a between the floors with 2 identical midrange Asus routers and ditch the Moca.

I have used the Motorola’s for several years. I have 3. My MOCA network has been rock solid. The Actiontec were terrible.