Rebuild network using Moca

Shots fired! :rofl:

I'm also researching this to wire 2 eeros on separate floors. They work fine as is but it would be nice to get full speeds on the 2nd floor.

Does anyone have experience with goCoax 2.5s? Reviews are good and they are significantly cheaper than the Actiontec adapters.

With a mesh system, you shouldn't need to worry about using any wires. I have a Google mesh in a 2 story 3400 sq ft house and get router speeds at every corner of the house. I'd install a mesh system first and test your devices in every location. If you are not getting the speeds you want then deal with the Moca.

A bigger issue (at least for me) is connecting the Mesh router to the router provided by your internet service provider. In my case I have ATT fiber and they give you a gateway/wifi router which needs to be bridged to the mesh router. Depending on the box they give you this may or may not be easy.

I was looking at at least the Netgear Nighthawk Triband AX system. I don't see why I need to go any better than that. And yes, I think you're right, start with the mesh system and go from there. I need to work on relocating my antenna too.

I know this next question isn't related to MoCa but how do y'all feel about directional vs omnidirectional, unamplified vs amplified, etc.

I would think I want to try to avoid an amp if possible and use a directional antenna since most of the towers are jumbled up together on the map. An omnidirectional would benefit from the amp.

Id like to add that I haven't really used the sites with ota channel info to try and optimally place it. My scenario is I live about 15 - 20 miles from Jackson, I know Jackson is that direction, that's where the towers are, point it that way, and I bring my phone with me into the attic and watch the HDHR signal change in it's interface as I move it around, while having my GF change the channel for me. I'm an idiot though and too far to the left or right is a 2x4.

A directional antenna without an amp is probably the most-preferable setup if it works for you. Since the towers are generally in the same direction, you probably don't need an omnidirectional antenna. That being said, some directional antennas are more directional than others, and will be more/less sensitive to the direction you point it.

I've got this piece of garbage.

definetly open to a better one

That actually looks like a pretty decent antenna.

I probably just need to relocate it then.

Review of said antenna...

Idk what to do man. I want to optimize everything but the infrastructure of this place makes it where I have to cut corners and I'm just not satisfied with cutting corners.

1 Like

I don’t know about everybody else but finding open wifi channels here is a challenge. I live in a subdivision of single family homes fairly well-spaced and I still have trouble with channel space. As a result I have tried to wire as much as I can to leave spectrum for devices that absolutely have to use wifi. I always assumed that a mesh network or any kind of wifi repeater would just make this situation worse. For those in rural areas or places with plenty of wifi spectrum available I’m sure mesh can be a great solution, but I think it can have issues in densely populated areas with lots of wifi networks competing for spectrum.

Start here:

1. Post a rabbitears survey of where you are.
  2. How long is your cable run from antenna to HDHR? Without the answers to these 2, anyone giving an opinion on antenna/amp is outright guessing. You may not need anything, and may only need to repoint, as you suggest.
  3. As for mesh wifi vs MOCA - hold off on purchasing anything before you exhaust your moving things around options, like relocating the cable modem / main wifi router. You may save your self time and money, and end up with a better solution overall.
1 Like

It's a 50ft coax routed out the back door, up the exterior wall back into the attic. About 15 ft are wrapped up in a service roll. It's pretty rigged up. I have definitely thought of relocating the hdhr to the attic with the antenna.

2 Likes

Heh - your screenshot cuts out the important stuff :slight_smile: If you still have the anonymized URL (further up the screen), better to post that

50-100ft (of good cable) is fine, but it dictates the need for a preamp. This one isn't as good as the older model, but it's cheap and good enough for me

1 Like

https://rabbitears.info/searchmap.php?request=result&study_id=272526

1 Like

Yeah - your signals are pretty strong - i wouldn't worry about your antenna at all, assuming you can get CBS (on 12 VHF) with it.

As for WiFi and whatnot - a cheap(er) option might be building a wifi mesh with Asus routers - I have one myself, and it's worked pretty well.

Cheapest possible way, if you're technical: get 2 of these when they go on sale for <$50 , then follow these directions

Better/newer, but still cheapish (and much less complicated): 2 of these

Moneybags: 2 of these (if you can even get them)

1 Like

I’ve lived in multiple dense housing situations over the last 3 years and like you, had trouble finding less crowded WiFi channels with a run-of-the-mill TPLink router.

After I switched to eero, my speeds instantly improved and I never worried about searching for channels again. I’m now a believer in whatever automatic optimization it does. I’ve also used a single eero pro as a standalone router (no mesh with other eeros) in a small apartment close to a dozen other units and it performed better than the TPLink I spent hours tinkering with. If you have WiFi troubles in the future, I wouldn’t hesitate to try a mesh system.

1 Like

So I think what I'm gonna do is have a shorter coax run to the HDHR, not move the antenna any, and rig up a network cable from the 2nd floor to the first floor through windows to see if it solves anything. Then I'll know what the issue is. The cable run or the signal.

Sorry - I've re-read this whole thread, and I'm not sure what your base issue is, actually. Is it just stuttering/etc from certain OTA channels?