Rebuild network using Moca

Ok, so just one filter on the main line. And replace all accessible splitters with the moca ones. Seems easy enough. Thanks again, I always trust your advice.

So I've been using a pair of Actiontec ecb7250 for a few months. Poe filter connected outside, and 2 moca capable splitters (one outside, one inside). They connected on the first try. The HDHR is connected to the moca extended portion of the network along with a Chromecast, both into a switch being fed by one of the Actiontecs. No issues. The first part of the network is a SHIELD and the other Actiontec adapter connected to the router. On the SHIELD, after some time while watching an ota channel, how long it takes can vary, there is a visible hiccup, at which point sometimes the banner for network problems is displayed, but at that point, any continued watching is choppy with out of sync audio. The lips don't match up. So I guess dropped frames and audio out of sync. Pausing / unpausing playback will usually fix it. Sometimes it gets so janked up I have to reload the channel backing out to the guide and back in. This is on the shield on the first part of the network. I don't really have the option to move the tuner to the same physical part of the network as the DVR, but I suspect possibly that will fix it? Seems like it shouldn't do that, and isn't necessarily an issue with my network. I'm not sure how to proceed. Submit diagnostics once it happens?

I had trouble with Actiontec. Moved to Motorola a year ago and haven’t touched them. Running two them.

I had same issue, no response yet

Suggest submitting diags, if only to get a look.

Is your tuner also hooked up over moca?

No, which points to something more general, which moca may have a hand in bringing out.

1 Like

We need to find what is common between us. Is the tuner hooked up on a different physical part of network than the DVR?

I have my tuner (HDFX-4K) on MOCA 1. I have an Apple TV 4K on MOCA 2. They are in different rooms. I have a MOCA/Cable RF AMP/ Filter on my entrance point for my home. All Coax terminates in the low voltage closet. My internet is 300 Mbps down and 10 Mbps up. This is a screen shot from Apple TV on MOCA 2. I have 7 channels clients running in my house along with Smarthub, security cameras, Doorbell..etc. I had lots of issues with the ActionTec units. I tried a Motorola from Prime and no issues with the tuner. Added a second just to see if my media room liked it...and it did. While I have no proof the ActionTec's are questionable, I know the Motorola MOCA devices are solid.

2 Likes

I have issues with the ActionTecs but I don't have the Motorolas to compare to. Live OTA video from the tuner becomes choppy and is not in sync with the audio. A few seconds pause will fix it. This only happens on the first leg of the network, before any Moca. Also, if I enable Moca in the Xfinity gateway's settings, I can remove the first adaptor and Internet works at the second adapter where there is a 4 port switch with the tuner and a Chromecast connected. The Chromecast will detect and play from the tuner, but anything on the first leg of the network before it goes through Moca will detect the tuner, but display "Tuner unavailable" message. Not even the Hdhomerun app will work. I have to use both adapters despite the Xfinity gateway having support for Moca. I've decided to run an outdoor Cat 6a between the floors with 2 identical midrange Asus routers and ditch the Moca.

I have used the Motorola’s for several years. I have 3. My MOCA network has been rock solid. The Actiontec were terrible.