Record with Channels DVR, Convert with MCEBuddy, Watch In Channels App

Using the latest version of MCEBuddy and the current version of Channels DVR.

Is there a definitive guide to recording with Channels DVR, converting and commercial removal with MCEBuddy and then viewing the finished product through the Channels app (on Fire TV in my case)?

So far, I get “playback failed” whenever I try to view an MCEBuddy-converted file.

I have run this powershell command on my media server where Channels DVR runs (output below)…

PS C:\Users\craig> Invoke-WebRequest -Method put http://127.0.0.1:8089/dvr/hacks/mcebuddy

StatusCode        : 200
StatusDescription : OK
Content           : true
RawContent        : HTTP/1.1 200 OK
                    Content-Length: 4
                    Cache-Control: no-cache, no-store
                    Content-Type: application/json; charset=utf-8
                    Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2018 00:00:37 GMT

true
Forms             : {}
Headers           : {[Content-Length, 4], [Cache-Control, no-cache, no-store], [Content-Type, application/json;
                    charset=utf-8], [Date, Sat, 25 Aug 2018 00:00:37 GMT]}
Images            : {}
InputFields       : {}
Links             : {}
ParsedHtml        : System.__ComObject
RawContentLength  : 4

Which platform/device are you getting Playback Failed on?

What is the format of the converted MCEBuddy file? Does the file have the same exact filename as the original recording?

I am getting the playback failure on my Fire TVs… latest, but not the cube. I have tried two of them just to be sure.

I had MCEBuddy set to delete the source file. I have disabled this and am running another test recording to see what the output is.

You can change the format of the file, but the filename must remain exactly the same.

If you’re shortening the recording, the UI may still show the original length and original commercial markers.

Read the forum thread on Hacks (mcebuddy):

Hello. I Just came to ask this very question. I have only been using channels for about a half year and I only started with MCEbuddy this week. Has there been any update? I tried putting the file back in the channels DVR folder on my hard drive but that did not work. Are there any other solutions or ideas?

You have to either rename the file to mpg and put it back where it was originally. Or you can put it into the Imports directory and import it as a new recording.