Recording conflict management

i'm still not entirely sure that this is working the way it should.

example: i have several series passes for CBS shows. according to the DVR, i have two options for CBS - xfinity TVE (which i've never been able to get to work since it was added), and locast.

based on discussions in another thread, i have moved locast to the bottom of the priority list for recording...which means that it should be trying to use the TVE stream first (even though it won't work). but, when i go into the DVR screen, it shows 6003, 2.1 as the channels for the scheduled recordings (which seem to indicate they're going to use the locast stream first).

by contrast, my NBC recordings (which also have a TVE option) show 6000, 4.1 in the DVR schedule page (which seems to indicate they're going to use the TVE stream first, locast second).

can someone explain to me what exactly is going on here and how i make sure this works? ideally i'd tell it to stop using the CBS TVE feed altogether since it never works, but i can't figure out how to do that either...

6003 is TVE, so Locast is not first

Hide the channel under the source using manage lineup

1 Like

sorry, i had that backwards. my statement was correct but the numbers were backwards.

for the CBS recordings, it shows 2.1, 6003. for NBC it shows 6000, 4.1. this is with locast set last in the recording priority list.

if i hide the channel as you suggested, that doesn't change anything. the schedule list still says 2.1, 6003.

Sounds like you've marked Locast CBS as a favorite, and that's why it is preferred. Remember, priorities on the server are recording only, and client priority only affects live viewing and guide presentation.

i have. cool. that at least makes sense, i couldn't figure out why it was trying to use that first until you pointed that out...i hadn't even thought to check it. much appreciated.

that doesn't explain though why it's still trying to use 6003 even though i have it disabled...

Have you restarted the server?

Whenever making any major changes, such as adding/changing sources/channels, or updating guide info, etc., it helps to restart the DVR server to ensure it's working from a clean slate. (Just for extra protection, I would then Delete and Recreate the guide database, followed by a second server restart. This ensures that the latest guide data is sourced for any changed channels/sources. And when I say "server", I mean the DVR server software, not necessarily the machine running the software. sudo systemctl restart channels-dvr or equivalent will do.)

After you're sure that your server is running clean, restart your client apps. Force stop/quit the app, and if on Android, possible clear the app's cache, too, and then relaunch the client app. This ensures that the client is retrieving the latest and freshest info from your DVR server.

Following those two steps will alleviate many peculiarities, and also ensure that you are at a good clean starting point for any one attempting to offer help. If your server/client are in a confused state, then suggestions may not make sense.

i thought i had, but i'll try it again.

Yes and no. Channels still knows whether it was able to record something or not. If the recording failed, for whatever reason, I don't care if its due to a conflict or whatever, it should be able to schedule the recording for the next episode. My Dish DVR would do it. Heck, if a recording is interrupted due to signal lost in the middle of the recording, it would record the next time that episode is aired. If you have two DVR's the Dish DVR would send the recording over to the other DVR if all tuners were in use. If there is a power failure, the recording would be rescheduled.

Most people will only being using one system such as Channels DVR so I bet most multi-user homes aren't happy with this. Most DVR's I used in the past had this including Comcast, Direct TV (satellite) and I believe Tablo has it.

Most DVRs also have exclusive control over the tuners, and so they can manage access to them. With the HDHomeRun ecosystem, other programs within the network can access the tuners; just because there is a device with 4 tuners, the DVR cannot be confident that all 4 tuners will be available when it wants to make a recording.

Very few people are going to use multiple systems to control the tuners so I don't get the excuse. And if they do use multiple systems then that is on them. They can add a setting to exclude conflict notifications.

I use multiple systems ... but there is a solution Channels can have an OPTION to force unlock the tuners not in use by Channels DVR.... if there are no free tuners available. When that option is enabled Channels can assume it has all tuners.

You will be surprised how many people use multiple systems that is why they use HDHR units.... But I have accumulated many tuners through the years so do not have that problem

It's not an excuse; that's how Channels is set up by default. By default the DVR has absolutely no clue which clients are using tuners for live viewing. Channels is fundamentally different by design; from the beginning it was always different from your cable company DVR.

Another thing what is to be done if someone is watching the Football Game with 2 minutes to go and you have a show scheduled but other tuners are in use ... do you take the tuner watching the football game to record your show?

While I think everyone would like Channels DVR to handle recording conflicts, I don't see it ever happening as it's an impossible ask.

The best I can hope for is a "potential conflict" warning of some sort based on the fact Channels doesn't have exclusive control over the tuners you use, but could maybe go through the schedule (every time it's updated by guide updates, pass changes, manually selected recordings, etc.) and determine based on pass parameters, recording priority rules and number of current tuners if it thinks the tuners will be depleted. Something like my earlier request Simple recording conflict display for Channel Plus (DVR)

You have to consider a pass may specify only using one channel, priorities of favorite and HD channels and tuner priorities. And then throw a wrench in the works by considering a HDHR 4k tuner can only tune ATSC 3.0 channels using two of its tuners.

That is why I say to have a Smooth running Channels DVR OTA is to have at least 2 Quatros dedicated to it.... With tuner sharing.

Plus I just told you that Channels can add a setting to ignore conflict resolutions.

Plus, plus if you don't set the ignore conflict resolution setting you will have ample opportunity to cancel recording one of the channels that was about to use the tuner so you can keep watching your football game.

Well, the point is moot, since Channels does not offer conflict management. While it's a feature I would like, I don't see it happening any time soon, as such a feature would be a huge undertaking to implement.

If conflict management is important to you, and a feature you require, both Windows Media Center and MythTV offer good conflict management. I'm sure other software does, too, but those are just two that I know of.

To avoid other applications grabbing tuners, channels could connect to and lock them for it's exclusive use. I suggest a check box in settings as some may not want this.

Now that channels has exclusive access to the tuners, it should be able to predict what tuners will be in use and if it sees a time that there will be no tuner available, it could look to see if one of the scheduled shows could come from a different source of be delayed to avoid the conflict.

There are workarounds we can do such as making TVE priority yet this can lead to other issues.

Thank you for considering this,

Morris