Remapping channel numbers

I have Channels DVR running natively (not docker) on my Synology NAS, and use the PlutoTV docker without issue. I just had to change the port it used because something else on mine was already using the default one Maddox used.

1 Like

it can run with non-docker, but you need to have a way to run the mapping app or you have no way of renumbering the channels. you can put it on a different port, just change the docker-compose file accordingly (i.e. something like "8081:80" would redirect port 8081 on your server to port 80 in the mapping container).

I have the same setup (running PlutoTV and channels natively) but I meant with the channel-mapper you have to use the channels dvr that was created with the mapper build. I am pretty sure I can get it working with the port changes but since my Channels dvr is working really well the way it is I will wait till the developers add this option. Thanks for all your help I learned something anyway.
As you can see I made the change through the Docker UI to port 8081:80 and they are all running. I can't test at work but when I get home I will try it just to see if I can get it working.

1 Like

you don't have to use the one that was created with the mapper, i just set it up that way to make it easier for anyone who wanted to do it all in at the same time. you can certainly use an instance you already have running, just remove the frontend service from the docker compose file.

the catch, of course, is that you need the backend service (which is why i asked if you could access the backend service at port 8090). as long as the backend is working, you can set it up to use an existing channels install (you'd just have to use the external playlist rather than the internal one when adding a re-mapped source to your existing frontend).

I would love to implement this - But as docker newbie (windows 10) I don't have the confidence to do so.
I read the post linked above but it is a little hard to follow. Is there a step by step guide anywhere?

the initial post from my blog? what was hard to follow about it? i tried really hard to make it as easy as possible to follow, so if there are parts that are confusing please let me know and i'll try to clean it up.

everything from "putting it all together" on down to the end has all of the instructions as to how to get it running, including the shell commands you need to run and screenshots of each step. it reads fine for me, but i do this kind of thing every day for a living so there may be things that a novice might have issues with that are obvious to me...please let me know and i'll do my best to help.

1 Like

I wasn't meaning to offend you with my post. So please don't be.
I think because it isn't what I do everyday is why I am having the lack of confidence. I have never done done the steps you lay out or anything close.

For example:
$ cd ~ --Where do this and the other commands go?

Like I said total newb with anything docker.

Your guide is great. But I just don't know where to start, literally. Once I have been through it a time or two I am sure it will be less daunting.

Use the Windows terminal to execute commands like cd. I don't use Windows but you should be able to Google Windows terminal to get the basics.

1 Like

I have tried this.

When I enter the command(s) I get error(s)
For example:
$ git clone https://github.com/crackers8199/channels-dvr-mapper-docker.git "$ is not recognized as an internal or external command"

not offended at all. i genuinely want to make sure it's easy enough to read that anyone can follow it, so i'm glad you brought this up so i can make improvements.

i should have noted where i said "this assumes a working system..." that it actually assumes a working linux system. we should be able to get this working on windows with some tweaks, i just might not be much help answering some questions. we might need some other users to chime in.

they are linux terminal commands. the $ is the prompt (similar to c:\> you'd see on a windows system if you opened up a command prompt window).

i haven't tried this on windows because i don't have a windows system to test it on, but it should be pretty similar...some of the commands might change, though. for example, i don't know that mkdir works exactly the same on both windows and linux.

like i said above, the $ is just the prompt. everything else after it is the actual command to be run. i'll make some changes to the guide to point that out.

also, one of the commands i know (or am pretty sure at least) will be different, is the syntax anywhere you see ~ in any of these commands. ~ on a linux system refers to the user's home directory, and i don't believe windows has any equivalent...so you'd just need to pick a directory to set this up in, and use that directory path anywhere you see ~ in the linux commands.

1 Like

Ok I removed frontend and change the port from 80 to 8080 but i don't get the mapping option. I think it takes more than just changing the port to 8080. But the backend doe come up with port 8090.

if you changed the port option in the docker-compose file to 8080:80 (instead of 80:80), you should be able to access the mapper on http://<server.ip>:8080

that of course assumes you have nothing already running on port 8080. what behavior exactly are you seeing?

I also had an issue with the run command in the Mac in terminal. run dir_init.sh

got it all working but on hdhomerun you can type the channel but there disappear when yo save. on philo and spectrum the channels stay but no changes anymore on the channels.

that is my screw-up. it should be sh dir_init.sh, not run dir_init.sh

I meant to say that you should run dir_init.sh and somehow put it in as a command. I'll fix that.

can you elaborate a little more on this? I'm not sure I understand what you mean here...

my page with the mapping works (192.168.1.223:8080) but if Type in the text boxes to the right of the channels. The HDhomerun source will except the entry but when I save the text box goes blank. On the sources like Philo the entry takes and still in the text box after I save or refresh the page. But I don't see any changes in the channel mapping. Should I see it in the backend or on the actual channels server on 192.168.1.223:8089?

you should see it on the frontend. the backend server is just there to bring all the channels together.

the mapping instance looks at those backend sources and produces a m3u playlist you can use as a source in the frontend, to show the channels with the new channel numbers.

I'm still not sure I understand what you mean about the box going blank on some sources but taking on others. that doesn't make sense. it should work for all or not work at all...the same code is being used for all sources.

Only difference between sources is that the hdhomerun is a fiscal tuner.

Reality I can use a text editor to chive the same results after extracting the mu3 files. thanks for all your help.