Remapping channel numbers

no problem, but i'd still like to try to understand what you're seeing so if there's something broken i can fix it.

can you send me a screen grab of exactly what happens when you try to save the channels in both a source that works and a source that doesn't?

I already removed my images from Docker but I would type in all the new channel numbers and at the end hit save and the would be gone from the screen. Same in my Mac docker.
I have already running really well Channels DVR and made all the M3u files with the new channel numbers for Emby so I gave up with the mapper. I was hopping that the developers would add to their server the option. My reason is it took my wife 6 years to get used to the Verizon channel numbers and she does not like change.

okay, i guess. the whole point of this was to allow you to map channels to whatever system you like. as i said, you can certainly use this with an existing channels DVR install and i'm more than willing to help you get it running, but i can't do that by guessing.

if you're fine with using emby instead and that works for you, that's great! if you decide you want to give this another shot, i'm here to help!

I would really like to be able to use this. How would I go about doing it on Windows? Thanks!

the process should be similar but i can't really help much with how the commands would be different, as i don't have a windows system that i can test it with. there are a few tips both on the blog post and a little further up here, but i'd need someone who is an expert with docker in windows to help out a bit so we can figure it out...

if i get a chance this weekend, i'll see if i can spin up a windows VM and get it running from start to finish so i can write down exactly what the differences are...but i can't make any promises.

1 Like

That would be awesome if you could!

Wouldn't it just be easier to use xTeVe, and use their .m3u and import it back into Channels? In xTeVe import the Channels DVR playlist(m3u): [http://server IP :8089/devices/TVE-Philo/channels.m3u] than rename your channels, once that is done go back to Channels DVR, Add source, choose M3U Playlist, add the Xteve URL: http://server IP:34400/m3u/xteve.m3u.

in my experience xteve is horribly unreliable (for pretty much everything)...not only that, but doing it that way it's not going to include the station id in the playlist that links to the stations from the channels guide (which is IMO superior to and faster than xmltv).

i mean i guess if you wanted to do it yourself and have better luck with xteve than i have, you could do it that way, sure...just seems like a lot more work and a lot more potential for having issues. once this is up it's bulletproof. i've had it running for almost a month now and changed the channel numbers (which is as simple as just putting in a new channel number and then having the frontend reload the m3u) several times and had no issues whatsoever.

1 Like

still haven't had a chance to do this yet but i'll try to find time this week (possible since it's a short week)

It's ok. If you get a chance that would be great. Completely understandable if you can't. Thanks!

I'll give yours a try and see how it works. I have a QNAP NAS that I run channels on, so I can just spin up a Channels Docker container as the backend, and keep the original Channel app as the main. In your opinion would you just add your PHP app to that container?

Right now, I just modified that channel numbers in an .m3u file and I use it for Emby mapping. Also what port are you using for your Channels Backend server? Your not using 8089 in both places are you?

that's exactly what i did. i wrote the blog post for anyone who wanted to do it from scratch, start to finish...but in my case i just used my existing channels instance / docker stack and added a second one to my compose file as the backend.

i'd just add a third container. if you screw up that container you can always trash it and start over...that's the whole point of docker, keeping everything separate like that.

nope, i use the default 8089 for the frontend so as to not confuse any of the apps. i use 8090 for the backend. you can't use the same port on the same machine for both containers. docker won't let you. it wouldn't have any way of knowing which one you wanted on any given request.

How did you change the port on backend?

it's in the docker-compose file. it maps port 8090 on the host to 8089 on the backend container. as far as the OS inside the container knows, it's using port 8089...docker does the port forwarding.

I was just pulling down the docker container and running it on my QNAP and than going back to that to run your script, not sure I can do that in container station

mapping ports is central to how docker works, you should be able to do it somehow (unfortunately i can't tell you how, though)...

I'm sure there is a way, I just need to research how to run this in QNAPs container station

1 Like

if i can help in any way (other than directly helping with QNAP of course), let me know and i'll do what i can.

Advance settings on the container

1 Like

@mrgf09 Do you have a guide on how to get this to work using Qnaps container station?