Repeated crashes with Chromecast with GoogleTV

Having trouble with remote viewing of TVE recording on Chromecast with Google TV. Crashes repeatedly back to Preparing your TV after around two minutes of viewing.

This was happening two weeks ago with the beta version, so I rolled back to production. That worked for awhile, but now seems to be broken again.

Submitted diagnostics.

Thanks.

I'm seeing the same thing too but with remote streaming of live tv. It kicks me out every 5 minutes or so.

How much free space is on your device? There have been issues in the past where low storage caused crashes, IIRC.

(The CCGTV is rather anemic when it comes to storage.)

Mine isn't on the CCGTV, My family is using Nvidia Shields. I just had another family member who remote streams say that theirs is crashing as well. For some it's while watching live tv, for others it's when they watch a recorded show. I'm having no issues playing anything locally with my Shields. I might be able to get out there later this weekend to get a crash report from their tv. @tmm1

1 Like

I'm confused. This thread is specifically about crashes on the Chromecast with Google TV.

They are both Android devices using the same client

I suggest you both go to setting sin the channels app and go to trouble shooting and then speed test to channels server.

I don't know the minimum speed that will work yet 25Mb should be sufficient though commercial skipping will be slow. Lots of jitter is also bad.

Good luck,

Morris

I added more diagnostics to latest apk beta to hopefully get details on what's happening here.

I walked my brother through submitting the crash log, but he doesn't have the beta installed. If it isn't helpful I can make my way over to his house and install the beta for him.

Thanks for looking into this for me!

Thanks we see the info needed in that crash diagnostics!

1 Like

Awesome to hear!

Fixed in latest beta

Thanks I too am having issues with the Channels remote crashing on Shield and Sony Google TV.
How to I get into the Channels Server remotely to update the software?

Mine is sitting on a Synology server at my other home. I can get into the Synology server but unsure how to get into the DVR webpage of Channels.

I tried using Synology Quick Connect and no go and times out

Thanks

The fix is on the client. To update the client go to Settings > Support > Install Beta

1 Like

Got it THANKS!!! So do I need to do this with all the Shields?

I went and visited all my remote users and installed the beta for them. No complaints now, thanks again!

1 Like

Confirmed fixed. @tmm1 thank you!

1 Like

This fixed my client issues as well! Thank you. Update: I spoke too soon. All shields stop playing live TV after 15-20 minutes. Have to exit out to guide and restart.

2 Likes

Agreed. Mine keeps crashing and going back to guide. What is strange is if you go right back into the same channel you were watching, it starts the beginning of the last time you tuned into that channel. You have to choose another channel then go back to the one you are watching for it to show the channel live.

I solved my issues by downgrading my shields today. All seems to be working normally again.

Noticing this too on chromecasts, shields, and firesticks. Is there going to be an update to the client-side apps soon that's not beta?

Thanks!