Request: Channel Numbers?

Yep, another person with a Harmony Remote here that would like number inputs.
Harmony 650, Mi Box, and Flirc usb receiver

Works well with Live Channels in Android TV

2 Likes

Another huge, massive ‘me too’ on finding a way to get this working with Harmony. I can’t quite wrap my head around it right now, and it may be impossible since many devices don’t have number support and therefore may not have the proper button-mapping available, but would be great if it’s an option.That would be a major feature implementation and I believe could help pave the way for Harmony Hub-based Alexa voice controls? Just thinking way down the pipeline…

1 Like

Yep, I can control Live Channels with Alexa and my Broadlink RM3 right now. Saying “Alexa, turn tv to ESPN” sends a command to the Broadlink device, which sends out an IR signal with the channel number. It’s pretty sweet. If channel numbers are added to Channels, I wouldn’t have to change anything with my setup and it would be ready to go as is.

If you already have some automation setup, you can use the Channels API and not have to mess with the IR transmitter at all. One http request will tune the app to the desired channel, and even open the app and turn on your TV automatically.

See https://getchannels.com/api/

Yeah that’s above my pay grade lol. I see the home assistant integration is on there, but I’m running a smartthings hub. I haven’t the first clue how to use the Channels API. Is it basically something that sends HTTP requests to the client that is running channels? Or does the client send the http request to the backend server running on my NAS? I’ll try to read up on it and see if I can get something working. Thanks for the heads up though!

Edit: Okay, I kinda get it. The request is sent to the client, and not the server. If I have some time this weekend, I’ll tinker around with smartthings and see if I can create a custom device that sends out http requests. I think that would integrate with Alexa, and at a minimum, I could create custom routines to change the channels.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re on the right track. If you get something working, post it in the #hacks forum so others can try it out. For instance like Channels + Siri Shortcuts

1 Like

Looking forward to your “tinkering”. This would be awesome

Wanted to bump this up.

Direct quote from wife: “Really annoying to not be able to just key in a channel, especially on the guide”

2 Likes

Interesting, I never thought about adding it to the guide too.

1 Like

I have heard this exact same feedback in my house as well. Other guides let you punch in a number to jump to that channel position in the guide.

I’ve added channel entry on the Guide tab for the next beta build. If it works well then we can expand to the video player as well.

1 Like

Which beta? I’m on 143

I just released v143, it should work on that version. On the Guide tab if you click some numbers, half a second later it will jump to that number in the grid.

Hmm. I’m using FlirC for number entry for my shields. They are received fine within HDHR app.

Should that work with your config?

I just tested with FLIRC and it seemed to work. First I upgraded it, then I did learn under Kodi with the number pad. Then I plugged it into the SHIELD and entering a number jumped to that channel.

Right now it only works for exact number matches. Maybe it should try to find the closest entry, so if you do 500 it goes to 505 or whatever.

1 Like

I don’t know about the 500/505 example, but entering just “2” should drop you on “2.1”, for example, IMO.

If we’re using Harmony connected to Shield via Bluetooth, should this work?

I’m just listening for number keys so it should work. Did you try it?

Not yet :slight_smile: just over-eager. I’m at work, but I’m excited to try the second I get home!

Ok, working ok, but a couple of issues.

1. When I first enter the guide, I have to hit a d-pad direction to move the cursor to “wake” it up. After I do that, channels responds to numbers. Did nothing before I ipdid that.

2. You have to press the number buttons pretty rapidly, otherwise nothing happens. Not sure what the “wait” time setting is, but I’d increase it.

3. Any way to just immediately page to the selected channel rather the scroll? It’s kind of distracting with the scroll.

Thanks,

1 Like