Rolling channel record

I would love it if Channels could be configured to continuously record a rolling 30 (or other user-configurable) minute window for a given channel.

With the fantastic new rtsp/m3u channel options, I'd love to be able to tell channels: Hey, please continuously record this channel, but only keep the last 30 minutes. Maybe in 1-minute increments?

Create an advanced pass to record everything from a given channel, re-record deleted items, and keep only 1. Then it will constantly record, and only keep the currently recording program and the previous program.

Otherwise, what you are describing is a CCTV-style DVR, and dedicated software for that scenario would be best (Blue Iris, ZoneMinder, Surveillance Station, etc.).

That advanced pass configuration doesn't work for those channels without a channel guide.

While another solution you mention for recording might be "best" none of them are an option since I'm not using them.

This seems like a pretty low effort/impact feature request, hence the ask. If the devs feel otherwise, I'll let them respond.

I assume you mean you want to be able to timeshift in that channel once you start watching? Or "start program from beginning"? Or do you just want a bunch of one minute recordings in your library?

Any of those options would be perfect! (maybe not a bunch of 1 minute recordings!).

If I could have the last 30 minutes recorded, and then the current 30 minute window being recorded, would be great.

Another possible option, set a default channel guide that breaks the day up into 30 minute increments. Would make the solution provided by @racameron work.

I'm having a hard time understanding why you would want this.

But if you really want to do something like this, you could create an xmltv file with 30min chunks and then feed it into our M3U custom channels interface as a new source.

I have 3 IP cameras at home, I'd like to record a buffer onto the same NAS as Channels. Currently, if I set the channel to record, it continuously records and would (eventually) fill up all the space.

If I could set a 30 minute window and then have Channels overwrite it would be ideal. Does this make sense?

Yes that makes more sense. But you can't record without guide data, so how are you recording off the cameras right now?

Using an awful native app to local sd card on the camera itself. Would much rather use a remote solution and not need to maintain local storage on the camera.

I'm sure there are other solutions available, but the Channels path seems so simple!!

So you want to use a TV DVR as a CCTV DVR. If it's simply about keeping it on the same device, why won't you consider some other proper camera DVR software that can run on your NAS? If it's a Synology NAS, Surveillance Station will run natively without issue. For any NAS, I bet you can find packages for ZoneMinder.

I'm just trying to figure out why you're trying to shoehorn a CCTV system into a TV DVR, which are inherently different paradigms.

On its surface, maybe. But when you look at trying to implement it, it's a nightmare in practice.

That's where we disagree. Channels enabled m3u content, this would allow us to record it.

Cool! Let's have a Channels dev say that. Again, I respectfully disagree with that assertion.

Worst case, I'll hack together a script that dynamically generates a vanilla xmltv guide each day.

I can understand it.
If you ever had a TiVo, think of all it's tuners constantly buffering (recording) to the hard drive so you can switch between tuners and trick play through the buffer on each tuner. Now replace the tuners with IP cameras.

1 Like

You could use xteve to create a m3u for the cameras and have xteve generate a "dummy" xmltv guide with 30 min slots for each camera. Then put the m3u and xmltv links from xteve in Channels DVR.

https://xteve.de/

1 Like

I suppose it is.

If you can describe how a CCTV system of a constant ring buffer for each camera fits into a linear TV DVR paradigm, then I will happily explore how this might be accomplished using a multitude of hacks and tricks to get Channels to work for your purposes.

(I personally do not see how the series/episode and atomic movie recordings that are used in Channels matches to a live feed with an always available—but time-limited—rewind buffer. This is the paradigm discrepancy that I was referring to.

Personally, for your purposes, I feel you would be better served by a secondary CCTV system, that you can then optionally integrate into Channels:

1. Use M3U playlists to integrate live feeds of your cameras into Channels' guide/interface.
  2. Add the directory that holds your CCTV recordings to Channels as a "Local Content" source.

By employing those two methods, you will have the UI ease you are looking for, including having your past buffer available. However, you will also be able to enjoy the benefit that a secondary—and proper—CCTV system affords, such as motion detection, notifications, scheduling, etc.)

I don't suppose you have an example of adding an xmltv link into an m3u handy?

Xteve provides a m3u and xmltv automatically

Maybe my question is wrong! Where in channels do we set custom xmltv sources?

Using a text editor create a m3u file for your cameras. You will use this file for xteve. It will look something like this:

#EXTM3U
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="1" tvg-name="Camera 1",Camera 1
http://x.x.x.x/what_ever_the_camera_url_happens_to_be
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="2" tvg-name="Camera 2",Camera 2
#EXTINF:-1 tvg-chno="3" tvg-name="Camera 3",Camera 3

Save the file as "camera.m3u" or whatever makes you happy.

You don't need a xmltv file. In xteve, you will assign each m3u (camera) entry to a "dummy" channel and choose the duration (30 min).

--

To answer your next question, xteve will create a url for a xmltv file and m3u file. You will use those in Channels DVR.

Thank you!

Where? (I can see the setup options for the m3u url in sources under m3u playlist), I just don't see an option to assign a specific xmltv source to the m3u?