Rolling channel record

To the right of the camera m3u source, there is a gear with a drop down. Choose the drop down and pick add provider (or something like that). Then there will be another drop down with USA selected. Click that drop down and under XMLTV choose custom URL.

Awesome! Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for.

For the xmltv url in Channels, you will enter the url shown in xteve for xmltv.

...or a link to the web server, serving the "dummy" file, which in this case I'm generating in the Channels DVR /var/www/ChannelsDVR location.

Not sure as Channels DVR isn't generating anything, it consumes the m3u and xmltv links from xteve. The xmltv file is not "dummy". The guide information for each camera are "dummy" entries inside the xmltv file.

As an extra to this:

You can emulate a rolling recording with a cronjob coupled with Ffmpeg to set a duration for the input, and to check how long to keep the previous recordings. Couple that with a RESTful call to Channels' endpoint to prune imported content to ensure that the library only reflects recordings/files on disk, and you can achieve the CCTV DVR functionality without actual software beyond cURL, Ffmpeg, and standard userland utilities available on basically any platform.

To close the loop on this, the xteve-dummy xmltv epg is exactly what I wish Channels would make available as part of the m3u options.

Fantastic idea and works great in xteve.

3 Likes

I agree. This is the only reason I run Xteve, to create dummy data so I can easily record channels with no EPG data from within the Channels UI.

This is now easier in the latest DVR pre-release:

1 Like