Sat>IP support

Hi there :slight_smile: ... any updates on this?

This is the first time I hear about Sat->IP once upon a time when I asked about such devices on this forum, got reply there is none because FCC do not require that from manufacturers...american point of view :frowning:

The only thing I know existed was devices manufactured by Sling, that can still be found on some auction pages (models went out of production).

Few questions about that standard:

• will it only work with freesat or also with Freesat from Sky
  • is this working with operator cards? for example Sky UK and Sky Italia at once, or polish/french Canal+?

I'm going to look into this Megasat :slight_smile: (Maybe I stil should find also decent dvr tunerbox because my parents from cable operator have only one cable box and in another tv only CI module that does not allow to recording anything and the EPG after timezone changing is a mess - operator still didn't refresh data :frowning:)

sorry, donβ€˜t want to bug, I know this is a low priority feature, but is there any more insight as to getting the elgato netstream satip server on board? anything I can do to help? I am using it for DTV here in the USA and pay for the subscription every month already for over a year now and love it, would love to get my european dish hooked up soooo badly!!!

I recently got an ATSC netstream tuner, and although it supports some parts of the SAT>IP spec, when it comes to actually streaming it does something completely custom and doesn't follow SAT>IP or RTSP conventions. Not sure if the 4Sat works the same way or not.

The SAT>IP spec also provides a way for tuners to expose an m3u playlist which would make it much easier for us to support these devices, but from the description.xmls I have seen so far none of the tuners actually make use of that feature.

So far I found that there is no easy way that the netstream 4sat exports an m3u directly, but I found on the official sat>ip site an official m3u channel list for Astra 19.2 E, which is the satellite my dish is aimed at: https://www.satip.info/resources/channel-lists/ here the server is discovered using the rtsp protocoll ...
do you think this would work?

How about support for TVHeadend as a tuner?

That way anything that works with TVheadend, works with Channels - it already supports an M3U export and also benefits from the various tuner sharing per MUX that TVheadend does already - not going to be for everyone, granted.

Those channel lists from the satip.info site are quite old and need to be manually edited (as far as i am aware).

Ive also noticed there are differences between my m3u lists depending on whether i am using my Kathrein or Triax SAT>IP server.

So does DVBViewer software.

Additionally, you can create custom m3u file with a set of tuning options assigned to the IP address of the SAT>IP server. Ive tried both methods and had this successfully working with Kodi, Plex & Emby.

The reason ive been using channels DVR is the focus specifically on LiveTV. My SAT>IP setup utilises a single 60cm dish, 3 wideband LNBs pointed at Hotebird 13e, Atra 19.2 & Astra 28.2 for FTA channels. Its used primarily for movie channels & music channels which i like. Ive also found that some sports channels are FTA on hotbird 13e & 19.2 with Eng streams, which is also useful.

Im not interested whatsoever in try to decode encrypted channels or use dodgy IPTV streams, just the ability to utilise my SAT>IP equipment in channels DVR so i can combine both my DVB-T channels via HDHomerun & DVB-S channels via satellite using SAT>IP.

Each piece of HTPC software ive used (including channels DVR) have their strengths / positives. I believe what makes channels DVR unique is the focus on its live TV and the reliability of recording & watching FTA TV. I like the simple / clean interface within channels DVR, the EPG is clean, the ability to watch live TV & recordings outside of my home network seems reliable, the recent update to include a local movie & tv show database is an awesome feature... and lots of other positives - Credit to the developers.

Can you share an example of how this looks?

I found some on https://www.satip.info/resources/channel-lists/

It seems VLC can also use these. Have any of you been able to use VLC with your SAT>IP receivers?

2 Likes

I took the 28.2 list replaced the ip with the ip of my sat-ip device and it worked perfectly.

Good find this - works brilliantly with vlc

We now offer basic support for SAT>IP with Channels DVR too, using BETA: Custom Channels via M3U Playlists

To try it out, click Add Source > M3U. Select MPEGTS, then URL and enter http://www.satip.info/Playlists/ASTRA_19_2E_logos.m3u. A new field will appear below where you can enter the IP of your SAT>IP server.

5 Likes

Does the above work if I replace the 19_2 with 28_2 ?

Yes but I don't think there's a logos version of 19_2. So use http://www.satip.info/Playlists/ASTRA_19_2E.m3u

This is awesome.

Ive just created an m3u playlist for astra 28.2 using my Kathrein SAT IP server and so far it's working very well. This now gives me a huge amount of options for recording TV shows! 24 tuners lol!

Thankyou for developing / integrating this! Spot on.

5 Likes

The resources / download links on the satip.info website are ok, however outdated. There are lots of channels missing.

I usually use the ini file from KingOfSat to keep my UK Freesat (astra 28.2) up to date which is here:

https://en.kingofsat.net/dl.php?pos=28.2E&fkhz=0

2 Likes

Thanks. What do you do with the ini file usually?

I put it into the 'transponder' directory within DVBViewer (the software I use to generate an m3u list), complete a channel scan then click on the 'external links' to download that file as m3u. So as things are I'm using the SAT IP function within channels dvr, but the file generated is connecting via the DVBViewer media server to my SAT IP server. It maybe a work around so to speak and I'd rather have channels dvr tuning directly, but unless I create / write an m3u list manually (which takes ages), I've found the above method to work fine. I can also create a single m3u list of my favourite channels across different satellites and SAT IP servers using DVBViewer which I like. As you mention in an earlier post the formats seem different if creating an m3u file from scratch. The method of tuning my Triax SAT IP server seems slightly different to my Kathrein SAT IP server.

1 Like

So I've been playing about with this new function and would like to give some feedback / suggestions:

1. After you have initially loaded an m3u file and manually mapped the epg provided by channels dvr, if I alter the m3u file (so add or remove channels), then click to update the m3u file within channels dvr the epg mappings and also channels marked as favourites gets mixed up. Any changes to my m3u channel list means I have to re map my epg and reset the channels marked as favourites.
  2. All my channels show up as HD.
  3. When I am mapping my epg to each channel sometimes the text cursor is missing and I'm unable to type a channel number or name. If I exit the channel mappings, then re open it everything is fine.

The positives:

1. Very quick channel changes.
  2. 24 tuners on my SAT IP server so this makes streaming and recording a dream.
  3. With the epg correctly mapped, all channel logos, epg data, artwork and also filters (so movies on now)... Etc all work well.
  4. Zero stuttering or channel drops. This is both on my home network and outside of my home network.
  5. Tested with 6 shows recording at once, whilst also watching live TV on 2 televisions connected via amazon fire tv boxes with no issues.
  6. Tested via cellular data on my mobile phone and tablet... No issues.
  7. Recordings scheduling without issue.
  8. Playback of recordings is fine, no issues.

I'm really pleased to have the SAT IP option available. It would be nice to have channels dvr allow to tune and channel scan directly to the SAT IP server, but not really a big problem for me.

3 Likes

I don't know whether these can work with cards for decryption, but any SAT IP server connected to a dish should work fine. I have FTA channels from hotbird 13e, 19.2 and 28.2 all connected via 1 dish into 2 SAT IP servers connected via 'wideband' lnbs and everything works well and reliably.