Screensaver active while watching TV

With the latest tvOS, the screensaver kicks on while watching TV.

tvOS: 15.1
Channels App: 5.0.1

1 Like

Is this while it is playing? Or while on pause? Is it live, or a recording?

The screensaver should never go on while watching live, regardless of whether it is paused. However, if recorded content is paused, the screensaver may activate.

Live, while playing. I had to go into the tvOS settings and turn the default of 5 min for the screensaver to "never."

This is a long standing bug that's tortured the tvOS app since the first version we ever made, lol. It's insanely rare and to this day has never been able to be reproduced.

If anyone feels like they have new information on how to reproduce this, please let us know.

Rebooting the Apple TV did not fix it. Uninstalling and reinstalling the application did fix it. Strange one, but thank you for the quick responses!

It could totally still be something in 15.1. We’ll check it out. And if anyone else has noticed it let us know.

But there’s only two places in the whole code that disables the idle timer (screensaver on tvOS and display sleep on iOS) and re-enables it. That’s why this has been such a mystery.

For the record, I only experienced this on one of my four ATVs. So reproduction of this incident, as you stated, is difficult. Thanks again.

I’m also experiencing this issue for the last couple of days. Live TV last for only couple of min before screensaver kicks in.

@sjsaleem I previously said this only happened on one of my four ATV's, but it just happened again last night on another one. Before I uninstalled and reinstalled the Channels DVR app, I rebooted the ATV. It did not return after that. It's like the initial install of tvOS 15.1 does something strange and another reboot is required.

This has also been happening to me in recent days. I’ve disabled the screensaver until it is resolved.

Happening for me as well, after just updating Channels earlier this evening. I’ll try removing and reinstalling to see if the problem disappears.

This is a bug in some code added for a new feature. We've tracked it down and should hopefully have it fixed in the next TestFlight beta. You can watch for it there. If you're not on the beta you can learn more here: Channels — Beta Program

Otherwise, it will be fixed in the next official release.

2 Likes

The TestFlight fix for this is out

2 Likes

I upgraded last night but find the screen saver keeps kicking while watching on my apple TV. I was able to get this resolved last night by rebooting apple TV but having same issue again today.

This was a bug and has been resolved as mentioned above.

I am not sure I understand how to get the beta link/redeem code for testflight. the link above tells you how to use the link but I don't see how I actually get the email so I can use the link or redeem.

How can I apply into the program?

Links is in the explanation post above.

Thanks, I was on my laptop and apple TV. didn't know I had to click on the link from my iphone. All good now. I have it installed. wife is not happy the little ball is gone from the guide showing what time it is. Thanks for the very fast response. I very much love this program.

1 Like

Is there a Beta Program for the FireTV?