Scrobbling to Trakt

I was wondering if you have thought about integrating to any scrobbling services. I use Trakt.tv on some of my other devices. Would be great to get all of my channelsdvr content there automatically.

This may be a tangent, but:

You already offer all of your personal details to Meta (via Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp), Alphabet (via Google, Gmail, and YouTube), and Twitter, and now you want them to have full access to your viewing histories?

You do realize that Meta (Facebook) and Alphabet (Google) make all of their money off of monetizing and selling your user data and specifics? And now you want to freely offer your viewing metrics to those same companies?

Please remember, for any service of which you don't pay from your wallet, you and your personal data are the currency being exchanged.

2 Likes

I firmly unerstand how advertising and you being the product works. I actually work for one of those that you listed, and have worked with others. I personally have no problem with sharing that data. Again if a service brings me value I am open to sharing random viewing habits.

The biggest hurdle for this is that they don’t have Gracenote IDs for content. So there’s no good way to scrobble the content with them.

I was actually looking at both your and their API and trying to figure out how to best implement myself. I am not familiar with Gracenote IDs. Will go do a bit of reading there. I know they work with imdb ids or tvdb.

@racameron
I understand your tangent. I would rather pay $$ then sell my data. But not everyone feels that way. Sadly in today's intent it is extremely hard to keep your data personal

@maddox

If trakt doesnt use gracenotes ID what about a service such as Real Good. I don't use Trakt etc. But my wife LOVES RealGood and she manually marks each show in there.

If any service such as Trakt, realgood, just watch etc is able to ever be implemented. Its a feature I think a lot of people would like.

Sharing viewing data goes way back; that's how Nielsen started the their ratings empire. However, Nielsen pays the households that they collect from. "Scrobbling" bypasses this, and uses your naïveté to power competing products.

(Nielsen also owns Gracenote, which powers Channels' EPG and imported TV data, as well as many other media and sports metadata services.)