Settings to help elderly and profiles

My mother in law uses the Nvidia shield and harmony remote, she has difficulty entering channels directly, due to the fact that the numbers have to be dialed very quickly, for example channel 1540 , might actually go to channel 15, then channel 40..she struggles..is there a way to allow more time...

Second suggestions, are there user profiles? I would love for different users to have different favorites list. Hopefully these features are implemented soon. Thanks for the great app.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! We'll look at extending the time allotted for input, or a setting to increase the timing.

There are no user profiles in Channels.

Thank you very much.

I have an elderly family member as well and it presents unique challenges when setting up a streaming TV system. My question / request... Is there any way to lock a user into operating the system being locked into your Channels app? I'd like to fix it so she can only go back and forth between the grid and the channel she is watching. Lock out the menu items on the left. Thanks.... DL

1 Like

Maybe kiosk mode will help, https://getchannels.com/docs/articles/protips/kiosk-mode/

Thank you. I will explore that when I return home. Is it available on all versions of Channels? I am using Beta version now but plan on moving to latest release for Android TV with Nvidia hardware.

1 Like

Just the Apple (iOS/iPadOS/tvOS) clients. It is slated to make its way to Android clients, but it is not yet available on those platforms.

You can manage the items in the sidebar. Use the Settings section to manage the nav to remove items you don't want her to get to.

Is there a way to completely get rid of the sidebar on a client? Also, is there a way to completely get rid of the option of recording shows? Or the “On Now” option? I tried to set up Channels for my elderly mother, but she kept navigating away from the Channels Collection I made for her and she just didn’t know how to navigate back. I think it would be great if you had like a “basic” (ie elderly) mode.

1 Like

Settings > General > Manage Navigation

1 Like

Yep, as @racameron mentioned, you can turn things off in the side bar.

If you're on the tvOS/iOS app, you can turn on Kids Only Mode, which will force the app to only show kids content. If you name her channel collection to "Kids", it will pick that collection and only show it. It will not show the collection picker. Kids mode also turns off recording and management ability.

You can also turn on Kiosk mode from the Channels DVR Server Client settings tab, and hide the settings option in the nav.

These features will be coming to Android TV and Fire TV soon, they are available in the beta.

Using this combination, I think you can achieve what you're looking for.

2 Likes

I second the request to be able to remove the side bar totally. While one can use the server side settings to limit the client to only show the "On now" and "about" menu's it would be great if one could remove the side bar all together. Basically the interface would only provide access to the "on now" section.

1 Like

I am once again trying to make channels work for my elderly mother, but the inability to further simplify the interface has left me with no choice but to get her another TiVo box. Getting rid of the sidebar entirely doesn’t seem like it should be that hard to do, so I don’t understand why the team hasn’t looked into it.

That is one of the reasons I prefer the Android Interface ... In the Guide they make better use of the real-estate. That collection side bar on AppleTV takes up too much real-estate. In Android the collection sidebar is not there.

1 Like

So the issue is that she gets stuck on the About page and can't get back?

1 Like

Removing the navigation entirely is not something that can or will happen. But we’ll be looking to create a way to disable recording features soon, as we did with disabling delete features.

The problem is that she gets stuck in the navigation bar and doesn’t know how to get out. I’ve already limited the navigation options to one option (on now), but it’s still a choice between that and About. I just wish the left hand navigation pane could be completely disabled for a given client. I tried disabling everything, but the navigation bar was still there and the only option was About, so that wasn’t even functional.

Disabling recording features has been added to the latest TestFlight beta for iOS/tvOS. The latest pre-release dvr server has the setting as a server side setting as well.

1 Like

Thank you. I’ll download this 11/27 version and disable that feature for her client.

Update: I updated the pre-release server to the 11/27 version and I already activated the client-specific feature. Thank you.

Why couldn’t the navigation be removable on a per client basis at the server level? What my 86-year-old mother needs is the Channels app to always show her one of the channels in her collection and nothing more. You already have most of the features necessary for this. For example, I have a collection of her channels that she can browse by going up and down on the buttons at the edge on the Apple TV trackpad. But the fact that pressing a wrong button can send her someplace else in the app is disconcerting to her.