Sling AirTV and Channels

Have the developers given any thought to modifying your program to work with Sling AirTV or any other streaming service? Or a new program? I would be willing a contribute to a Kick Starter effort.

CableCard (and maybe HDHR Premium) is basically the only way to get a clean cable TV feed that isn't encumbered with technical or product limitations. The fact that those options even exist is an accidental consequence of a law written 23 years ago and an alleged poorly drafted contract, respectively. Nobody else offers an open interface that lets anyone write an app to stream from them, and they have no compelling business reason to start doing so. Even if it were to happen, it would be an encumbered experience (the networks would potentially want to make it harder to skip commercials, black out sports from remote streaming in certain locations, etc) and it would cost the developers time that would be better spent on the core functionality of the app on supported TV platforms.

See also: Integration with YouTube TV

By the way, if you just want to get cable TV channels in the Channels app... check the plans offered by your cable provider. I found out that it only costs a few more dollars a month to get cable TV content added to my existing internet plan.

If you have Comcast, you can have a CableCard shipped to you and you can even self-install and self-activate it.

The previous-generation three tuner HDHomeRun Prime is readily available on eBay at very reasonable prices.

Thanks for your reply.

I tried the Silicon Dust Prime TV shortly after it was announced and found the quality poor. Now there is a lot of drama. I cancelled.

I subscribe to Sling TV (Orange) because it has the additional channels I need to supplement the programming I receive OTA (50 channels). It would be nice to be able to view everything in Channels DVR.

I may get the AirTV Player via the current promotion.

I tried the Silicon Dust Prime TV shortly after it was announced and found the quality poor. Now there is a lot of drama. I cancelled.

I think you're referring to HDHomeRun Premium, which is their internet streaming TV service.

But HDHomeRun Prime -- the box they sell that takes a CableCard, just like a TiVo uses -- is a pretty great experience. The downside is that you do have to be a cable TV subscriber. If you're willing to stomach that, it works very very well.