Slow tuning and crashes (UK H264)

Does the CPU speed have an effect on starting to play streams if FFMPEG has to probe the streams before handing the decoding off to the hardware? Perhaps that’s why the ATV 4K seems very quick compared to the FTV. I will also be interested in a side by side test with the FTV 2 vs 3 given that the 3 has a slower CPU (but better equipped GPU). I will let you know what I find later tonight.

4 posts were split to a new topic: How many hours of guide data is there?

How are things looking after a few days of use?

I’ve uploaded a new FireTV build which has further improvements for tuning time for both 1080i mpeg2 as well as h264. Playback should now be smoother and more reliable, and video quality might be slightly improved as well.

Much better. Quicker tuning and stable video. Thanks

1 Like

Are you seeing faster tuning now as well?

Today I plugged in my FTV3 which I haven’t used for about a week. It updated itself and I’m glad to say 1080i H264 and 576i MPEG2 (the 2 types of OTA video streams in the UK) now deinterlace properly.

I am using 1.0.3 on my FTV2 and FTV3. The FTV2 doesn’t deinterlace but is quicker to tune and is stable. The FTV3 still takes about 7 seconds to tune and there are still app restarts aplenty.

Huh that’s strange. Can you tune a channel and then submit diagnostics.

I’ve submitted a few app stop/restarts and a slow tune. The FTV3 is wired via the official ethernet adapter to the same gigabit hub the HDHR is connected to.

Okay I see one issue. Can you open this in chrome and email me the file: http://192.168.86.38:5004/auto/v12?duration=30

Please send me a sample when you get a chance.

I’ve uploaded beta build 38 which should fix the 7 second tuning times you were seeing.

Just tried it on my FTV2. Have to say it is BRILLIANT. The tuning is super quick. No crashes so far. And DVR playback is included. Amazing. Will try it on my FTV3 tomorrow.

1 Like