Stirr for Channels

Thank you! I updated the server to the latest pre release and everything is working great, Thank you very much!

I don't know it anyone is experiencing this but their still seems to be some freeze ups on commercial breaks like channel "Greatest American Hero". That channel is 100% not watchable at all. Seems to always loop back.

I'm seeing this issue as well. While it happens on Stirr channels often, I also have this issue with DIY and that's TVE. This is a returning issue that had been fixed for quite some time.

Fixed in upcoming v2021.04.27.1649

2 Likes

Thank you tmm1, it would lock up about once every 45 minutes, i didn't want to say anything but i am so happy you fixed it, thanks again and be safe!

2 Likes

Anyones Stirr TV Channel logos chopped off. The behavior on both web ui and shield.

I could not find the image either in the Registry tab in Synology Docker. Here's what I did on my DS918+ to download the image:

1. In Docker, go to the Image tab.
  2. Click Add, then "Add from URL".
  3. In the dialog box, enter the following into the URL field:
    https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/robbiet480/stirr-for-channels/
  4. Click Add on the dialog box to install the image.
1 Like

Randoodle, THANK YOU SO MUCH for the simplest of step-by-step. I greatly appreciate you sharing the steps. Worked without a hitch with my Synology NAS.

OK, loaded on synology and log looks like it found the 122 Stirr channels

stirronsynology

Nothing I'm trying seems to be getting me to the page where I can copy the playlst.m3u and epg.xml links to set this up in Channels. Comparing the 2 containers...

...the only differences I see are shown in the image.

1. Execution command has substantially different entries
  2. Pluto has tangible info under Local Port (blurred), Container Port and type, while Stirr is blank under all 3 tabs

I went into "advanced" and tried "changing" port to 81, running the wizard which created a new Stirr container, and that yielded entries on this overview page for Stirr: a local port number, container port 81 and type (tcp)- just like the Pluto one except port 81 instead of 80- but that didn't make any difference in terms of finding the playlist and EPG page links.

Generally, the path to those files is Synology IP address, colon, port number. Using the Pluto port number, that gets me to Pluto for Channels with the 2 entires for Playlist and EPG. As is for the Stirr install, with no port number, there's nothing to put there. With the advanced "add port" step I tried, it did yield a "local port" but Synology IP:that local port number did not yield a "Stirr for Channels" page just like it works for the Pluto docker file.

Any suggestions? I think I'm one step ("Stirr for Channels" webpage) away from having this functional. Thanks for any help!

The port is 80 not 81

Thank you for the quick response. 80 is default and I tried it that way first. No luck. All the posts implying conflicts with the Pluto container made me try 81. No luck either. So whether I try default or wild guess in the Advanced tab to assign a port (81 in my try), neither works.

As default (80), if I DON'T go into the advance tab and do anything, there is no Local Port entry that I can put after the synology IP to get to the playlist and egg links. That's what shows in the picture. Those 3 entries for Pluto have info in there: Local Port, Container Port and Type. If I take the Synology IP add a colon and put the Pluto Local Port behind it like this XX.X.X.XX:12345 it takes me to the Pluto for Channels page with the 2 links for playlist and EPG.

In the default Stirr container, NOTHING shows under those 3 tabs, so there's no number to use after the Synology IP plus colon to get to the playlist and EPG links.

Perhaps, I should try using the Advanced tab to assign 80 and then see if that gives me a port number that will get me to the playlist and EPG?

Update: that last idea worked. So, blending Randoodle's very helpful list to get the container to show in Synology NAS...

1. In Docker, go to the Image tab.
  2. Click Add, then "Add from URL".
  3. In the dialog box, enter the following into the URL field:
  4. https://registry.hub.docker.com/r/robbiet480/stirr-for-channels/
  5. Click Add on the dialog box to install the image.

...with my experiments to try to get a Playlist and EPG links page... the 6 extra steps are...

1. In the left sidebar IMAGE tab, double click the stirr-for-channels docker entry
  2. General Settings window will open. Click Advanced Settings
  3. Choose Port Settings
  4. Click the PLUS symbol
  5. In the Container Port box, enter 80 (leaving Auto under local port and TCP under type as is)
  6. Click Apply

This is going to basically COPY the Stirr for Channels image.

1. In the left tab, click CONTAINER
  2. I deleted the former Stirr for Channels container, as we only need one! :grinning:
  3. Double click the NEW one you just created. It should have entries under Port Settings, Container Port and Type.
  4. In a browser window, enter the IP address for your Synoogy box, colon and the number under local port. For me that loads a Stirr For Channels web page with the playlist and EPG links to set this up in Channels.

If things work as smoothly as they did for setting up Pluto, those 2 links should get this source working in Channels.

Stop the STIRR container by clicking on the toggle on the right hand side.

Then select edit, port settings at the top of the pop up box and manually add it there.

Then restart the container

2 Likes

Kalihusband, way to make the complicated ultra-simple!

I can confirm all is working now. Those with Synology NAS but "for dummies" knowledge of Docker (like me) can now join the fun!

Thanks to all who helped me out.

Are you all getting the thumbnails for now playing and collections. I am getting them for nearly all Pluto channels but I am only getting thumbnails for one Stirr channel. The guide info is working great.

Spot checking, it appears a single thumbnail for all shows on a single channel. I quickly checked a few channels where very different shows were running back to back. For example, one channel has Bonanza now and then the Lucy Show next. The thumbnail didn't look like one from EITHER show (black & white thumbnail and I believe BOTH of those shows were never shot in B&W).

But I bet the thumbnail thing sorts out in time. That seems like a bug some future version will probably resolve.

Thumbnails for each show are not provided. Each channel has its own static art. This is unlikely to ever change as there is no source for these.

This project provides the STIRR channels as is. It is what it is. It should work fine for watching live, but recording will likely not be all that great.

Compared to the Pluto Docker implementation?

It's pretty simple:

If you go to https://pluto.tv/live-tv and click on future programs in the guide, there is a program image for each show.

If you go to https://stirr.com/watchnow and hover over future programs in the guide, there are no images only text descriptions.

1 Like

Everyone needs to remember that these are hacks. Plain and simple. These are not official supported implementations of these services inside Channels.

Channels provides a way to add your own custom streaming URLs and a method to provide guide data and imagery for them.

These are just third party projects building on top of those features, doing their best, to get these cool streaming channels into the product. They can only do so much with what's available to USE in these implementations.

tl; dr: these are fun hobby projects. That's it.

6 Likes