Stirr for Channels

I can only speak for myself, of course, but I haven't seen a lot of complaining in this thread. I have seen:

1. A bunch of well deserved appreciation
  2. Some people having trouble getting things to work
  3. Folks sharing their experience

I agree that it is really annoying when people come into a forum and demand that you make their free/beta software work, but I don't see a lot of that in the Channels community. This community is filled with enthusiasts who want to participate in making Channels as good as it can be. That's why this is the only community I check in on daily.

I guess I didn't just speak for myself after all. Sorry (not sorry). :upside_down_face:

2 Likes

You might have read that wrong. I wasn't speaking about anyone else. I was just saying I appreciate anything I get for free and won't complain if it doesn't meet my very specific need. I wasn't knocking anyone else.

Edit: BTW, I agree with what you said about this community...which is part of what I was trying to express.

Fair enough. My thoughts were general and not aimed at you specifically. Not the greatest use of the "quote" feature.

I agree with all of that!! Any of my comments were an attempt to set expectations.

We don’t just love our community, we’re impressed with how great, helpful, and kind it is!!

5 Likes

My only expectations originally was Stirr working like Pluto but then when I realized the Stirr thumbnails were not as good on their end, my expectations were lowered. The Stirr now playing isn't good like Pluto but the guide data is great.

I set up three collections, 1) Movies on both Stirr and Pluto using the channels with almost always movies. 2) Stirr TV, all the channels with TV shows that I may watch, and 3) Pluto TV with all the TV shows on Pluto I may watch. Also, I grouped the shows into similar categories, comedy, drama, ect.

1 Like

Pluto works all of the time for me. Regarding Stirr, I have to stop and restart the docker container every couple of days or so. I find that suddenly Stirr appears to have over 500 channels (in settings), and the individual shows don't show in the guide. I stop the container, restart, and then go into settings to reset Stirr and it works again.

Sounds like your stirr docker container is out of date with the latest fixes.

1 Like

I've been having trouble lately with requests timing out, and then the channel count going to zero.

2021/05/12 00:45:29.603494 [ERR] Failed to request m3u for Stirr: Get "http://dvr-server.local:8081/playlist.m3u": context deadline exceeded (Client.Timeout exceeded while awaiting headers)

In an effort to solve this I tried setting refresh m3u to never, but it still seems to be doing it from time to time (after an update?). Reloading doesn't help; the only thing that fixes it is removing the m3u URL and saving, then going back and editing it back.

Is the solution as easy as just increasing the timeout?

Thanks.

There is something else wrong. For whatever reason, channels dvr can't connect to the stirr docker. Make sure it's running and make sure you can access the web page for the docker/stirr. You can manually try the m3u from there too.

1 Like

Nothing is wrong when I access it from the webpage. If I delete ".m3u" from playlist, save, go back in and add ".m3u" back, it works with 100% success rate. Just reloading does not work though.

Both Bonanza and The Lucy Show started their runs in Black and White and converted to color in later years.

Not true about Bonanza. It's early hook was that it was entirely shot in color. RCA sponsored the show to be shot in color because RCA wanted to sell this new thing called color televisions.

Could be true about Lucy. First season- 1962-63- shot in B&W but all later seasons shot in color.

1 Like

I guess I got fooled by all the publicity stills and stuff floating around in black and white. And the fact that I originally watched the series on a black and white set. :slight_smile:

4 posts were split to a new topic: DVR XMLTV generation issue

Hello, I'm still loving this "hack." It is working so well. It's terrific to have bonus channels to mix in with the rest. Thanks again to Robbiet480 for coding it.

As I understand it- which is borderline barely- this docker container is based on the Pluto one... which is also fantastic. I have both running on Synology NAS hardware.

One peculiar difference is that this one seems to have a rolling "local port." Every day or two, the location of the EPG rolls +3-8 more port numbers from where it was last. For example, if local port is 32800 today, within a day or two it is going to be 32805 or so. And a few days later, it will be 32811 or so. The Pluto container doesn't do this. It is "at" the same Local Port for many weeks since I installed it.

Why does this matter? Local Port points to the EPG. So when it changes, it seems the EPG will not update until I go in and change the Port Number to the new one in Channels Settings.

Any way to make this part of things work like the Pluto container- that is, consistently stick with a port number? What I think is happening is that this container is restarting every day or two (maybe updates every day or two). The last one is showing it has been running for 4 hours and port number is different than it was yesterday. The Pluto container right above shows it has been running for 41 days.

If anyone has a solution I can apply, I'd welcome a for-dummies, step-by-step to do whatever needs to be done. Else, if this is simply an evolving program that is updated regularly and thus this port number will need to keep updating until the code is fully perfected, I'll keep rolling with manually updating port numbers for EPG calls in Channels settings.

Thanks for any help if there's anything I can do.

Thankfully I don't have that issue. I am running docker on a Windows 10 (mini)PC.

I'm running on a Raspberry Pi. Here is the step-by-step for port 8181 (which never changes):

1. docker stop stirr-for-channels

2. docker rm stirr-for-channels

3. docker pull robbiet480/stirr-for-channels

4. docker run -d --dns 8.8.8.8 --restart unless-stopped --name stirr-for-channels -p 8181:80 robbiet480/stirr-for-channels

2 Likes

In the container settings you can set the container port. I am using docker on Synology and mine has never changed when defined that way.

1 Like

Thanks to all 3 of you for getting back to me.

Macnbaish, I'm trying your suggestion. I was able to find that screen and THINK I've successfully switched from what was "AUTO" settings to a hard set local port and container port (80). All looks right when comparing the result to the Pluto container, so we'll see what happens in the next few days. It seems logical enough that it will no longer change. If not, THANKS you so much for the reply!

1 Like

Macnbaish, again THANKS for your suggestion. 3 days in now and my Stirr port setting is still the same and all is working as expected. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. It looks like setting the Port Number in Synology works better than the default "auto" option.

Curiously, the Pluto container works the same way and is also "auto." Unlike the Stirr container, it doesn't seem to restart. For example, in that last post, it was running for 41 days as "auto". Nevertheless, for some kind of consistency, I went ahead and manually assigned a port number to it too. If nothing else, it makes it real quick- from memory- to check that both URLs lead to the pages that offer the EPGs.

1 Like