Stirr for Channels

So we’ve been having internet issues, which suck. I’ve noticed something as a result, however. I’m running the store docker on a Synology NAS, and it seems that it crashes if it’s connection to the internet is flaky or down. I have the docker set to restart automatically and it’s crashed numerous time today when we were having sever packet loss. The internet stabilized a few hours ago and no crashes since. I had noticed random crashes before but never had anything to correlate it with, but it seems very likely now it’s related to inability to access the internet. Hopefully an easy bug fix.

Just wanted to say thanks!

great job!

2 Likes

@robbiet480
Just installed Stirr yesterday. It was easy, painless. Only glitch I had was changing the port.

It is a wonderful companion to Channels. Thank you.

Ps. If you wanted to do any other streaming docker containers. I would love to test them.

1 Like

can anyone show example of where the stirr cite id is placed?

@robbiet480

I'd like to play a bit with the Stirr generation....where did you get the info on the api/structures? Thanks.

I notice when I DVR movies on the movie channels, they are saved as TV shows. So I have to move to the correct folder and so on.... any chance this could be tweaked for the Stirr movie channels kind of like Pluto does?

2 Likes

Anyone getting any error like this:

2022/01/28 21:42:40 STIRR_STATION_ID env var not set, attempting to auto detect local station

2022/01/28 21:42:40 Local station identified as national

2022/01/28 21:42:40 Beginning cache fill

2022/01/28 21:42:43 Found 108 channels in lineup, getting channel metadata and guide. This may take a moment.

2022/01/28 21:42:56 Error when filling cache unexpected end of JSON input

2022/01/28 21:45:43 STIRR_STATION_ID env var not set, attempting to auto detect local station

2022/01/28 21:45:43 Local station identified as national

2022/01/28 21:45:43 Beginning cache fill

2022/01/28 21:45:43 Found 108 channels in lineup, getting channel metadata and guide. This may take a moment.

.....................................................................................

2022/01/28 21:45:47 Error when filling cache unexpected end of JSON input

BTW national is the correct station ID form my state. It has been working just fine for awhile until today.

I am

Seems to still be working with the non-Docker implementation. 107 channels. Tested around 10 of them without issue.

I’m using the docker version.

I am having the same problem now, too, and it appears to be constantly crashing my Docker container. I have rebuilt the entire Container and restarted the Pi, but it is only staying up for a few seconds to 40 seconds, tops.

I temporarily moved to nocords to further investigate, but that reset my channel numbers :cry:

Synology Docker is running for about a minute, then restarting, showing that message as the error. I have it set to auto-restart and if I leave it, it will repeat over and over: start running then restarting (with that error showing in the Terminal window).

I then assumed maybe a newer version of robbiet480-stirr-for-channels was available, killed the installed version I've been using for months, searched for it among all docker files, downloaded anew, installed, run and same thing: starts running for about 1 minute, ....... showing while it runs in Terminal, then that error message, then restarting.

Docker file broken? Anyone know if (developer) robbie is fixing it? Else, is there a solid plan B to have stable Stirr channels in Channels? Thanks for any input.

Until apparently last night, it had been running well: crashing every few days but- set to auto-restart- it would restart and be fine for a few more days. Now, it definitely does not run at all for me: no Stirr channels. Whatever is happening with "Error when filling cache unexpected end of JSON input" seems to kill the Docker program every time.

nocords is having the same problem with the STIRR GO program (same one as used in the Docker). I don't know GO well enough to debug the program, but it's clearly something in the incoming data (probably an errant " or ' causing the JSON error).

When the nocords STIRR GO program can't load, it defaults to the @matthuisman link below, but still replaces the grey-on-white logo images and custom channel numbers.
https://raw.githubusercontent.com/matthuisman/i.mjh.nz/master/Stirr/all.m3u8

Oh yeah, I'm seeing this now, too, and that the EPG is running out fast (most of it is already past). I'm going to delete my Stirr for the time being so as not to waste your bandwidth.

Well, I got GO to install once and used it to deploy a pre-built program, so... I think it would take me a lot to figure out, too...

1 Like

I'm running a slightly customized version of the original Stirr generator without Docker that is still running fine on multiple platforms (Windows WSL2, RPI4 buster and Ubuntu 18.04).

pi@RPI4-A274:~/channels-dvr/iptv/stirr $ cat index.log
2022/02/01 10:30:01 Beginning cache fill
2022/02/01 10:30:17 Found 110 channels in lineup, getting channel metadata and guide. This may take a moment.
Channel 8001 STIRR | National
Channel 8012 CHARGE
Channel 8014 COMET
Channel 8016 TBD
Channel 8030 Buzzr
Channel 8040 Chicken Soup For The Soul
Channel 8060 Nosey
Channel 8080 Circle
Channel 8100 STIRR Classic TV
Channel 8507 Stingray Flashback 70s
Channel 8508 Stingray Everything 80s
Channel 8509 Stingray Today's Latin Pop
Channel 8520 Karaoke
Channel 8530 Qello
Channel 8540 Classica
Channel 8549 DJAZZ
2022/02/01 10:31:55 Cache fill complete, loaded 110 channels with 2916 programs in guide
2022/02/01 10:31:55 Writing playlist.m3u...
2022/02/01 10:31:55 Writing epg.xml...
2022/02/01 10:31:55 STIRR processing complete
Last Run Tue Feb 1 10:31:55 MST 2022

If someone wants to do a compare, I can put this go src up.

EDIT: My version sets channel numbers via an 'offset'....adds 8000 to the original Stirr channel number.

This seems to have resolved itself. The docker version is working again. I turned it back on today and it works. So must be some bad data in the guide data or something.

I can confirm as well that my Stirr docker is staying up now and is stable, though I have yet to re-add it to Channels. I never turned it off, so it seems like something corrected itself for sure!

EDIT: I added it back and it remembered all by favorites/unfavorites, so that was so nice! And even though it gave them new channel numbers, it still understood where they were in my Channel Collections. All and all, seems a-OK!

I have been getting this same error on Synology Docker from time-to-time. The problem will resolve itself, then come back again - sometimes hours, days, or maybe months later. I've confirmed I'm using the "latest" image from DockerHub dated April 28, 2021.

The error causes the Docker container to crash. The container is configured to auto-restart. Restarts are continual up to the maximum restart interval (1 minute).
Log entries show the following "triplet" entries for each restart of the container.

Beginning cache fill
Found 111 channels in lineup, getting channel metadata and guide. This may take a moment.
..Error when filling cache unexpected end of JSON input

The number of "dots" before the word "Error" in the third log entry can vary per occurrence. For example, all the log entries in today's occurrence have 2 "dots". The number of "dots" from a few days ago was different.

I do wish robbiet480 could address this error or provide some sort of recovery in the container.

I'm having this issue now!

2022/07/08 13:10:18 STIRR_STATION_ID env var not set, attempting to auto detect local station

2022/07/08 13:10:20 Local station identified as national

2022/07/08 13:10:20 Beginning cache fill

2022/07/08 13:10:20 Found 111 channels in lineup, getting channel metadata and guide. This may take a moment.

2022/07/08 13:10:20 Error when filling cache unexpected end of JSON input

can anyone help???

I am seeing the same thing in my logs but the content is playing okay. So it is recovering quick in my case.