Streaming (cache) directory

This directory is 20 gigabytes, and it continues to grow. There are files in here from months ago. What's correct way to clean it up, just delete it? Will this directory continue to grow indefinitely?

Oh thank you.

Does this require user intervention, and if the user doesn't monitor it, it just grows uncontrolled?

1 Like

Strange. It said 1.52 GB on disk, then I cleared it, and it did nothing. The directory is still 20gb.

Quoting

So ... why isn't it clearing the cache?

Is it growing past 20GB? Perhaps the planned cap of 16GB isn’t exact.

1 Like

Doesn't seem to grow past 20gb. Any idea why clearing the cache doesn't ... clear the cache?

Does it look like it clears it on the web UI?
What directory are you looking at on the file system?

cache03

You need to look at the cache folder inside that Streaming folder.
The Streaming folder also contains an m3u8 folder.
Capture

Maybe a better question ... how does the user control the size of the "Streaming" directory?

The m3u8 directory contains a streaming index for each recording you still have.
You can see that in the log when a recording starts as
[IDX] Generating video index for job 1583038800-270

Don't know if you can control that.

strange with latest version i don't have clear cache on my end

1 Like

I don't think it appears unless you have something in the cache.
Screenshot_2020-10-18 Channels DVR
Screenshot_2020-10-18 Channels DVR(1)

i have it being saved into /DVR can i manually delete without breaking

Look in the Streaming/cache and Streaming/m3u8 directories to see how much room they take up.
If you have a lot of recordings, your m3u8 folder will take up a lot of space, you can safely delete it.

oh yeah its all full. should i delete the whole folder? and it'll generate a new one? and thank you for your help

Yes.
Deleteing the whole m3u8 folder will delete the streaming index for your recordings, but they'll be regenerated when you try to stream one.

Check out the How To articles if you want to move your recordings to another drive or migrate everything to another PC.

1 Like