Stutter during recording playback

I’m seeing the same thing, specifically on OTA content from my Connect. Files play back fine when viewing them locally. Also with a quick rewind and playback the stutter goes away. I watched a show with the latest TVOS app on Sunday night and it seemed less than usual, but still saw a bit of it. I’m running off a hard wired connection to my ATV. Never see anything in the logs related to this. Also should mention was seeing it in both the beta and released app. Running off a Mac Mini with latest OS.

The OP was about watching live tv from a PRIME.

Your description sounds like recorded playback of OTA, which may or may not be related. Are you seeing similar stuttering watching live tv too?

If you notice the issue in the beta app, go to the Settings tab and click Submit Diagnostics > Video Player at the bottom.

Sorry, overlooked the Live part of it, was mixing this with some other posts on stutter. My issue is only related to playback. I’ll look for your suggestion in the beta app.

Can you describe the behavior in more detail… what happens when it stutters? How long does it last… does the audio keep going, or pause as well?

Does the timeline come up and show a pause icon?

It’s more of a stutter, the frame rate drops, audio is unaffected. A pause or a rewind will often remedy the problem for a while (seconds or minutes) like a buffer is getting refilled. I often notice it most early on in a recording, and it tends to go away as the show goes on, although not always. Is there any local buffering going on when playing back a recorded file?

Does the timeline come up and show the pause icon?

There is a small buffer, and that would indicate the buffering is kicking is.

No the timeline doesn’t come up. Just a noticeable degradation in playback quality.

Can you try the latest beta from New ATV Beta: Re-designed Recordings tab! (+ new TestFlight). I made some changes that might help.

Watched a recorded OTA show last night that had been problematic, no issues with stuttering. Will continue to monitor. Thanks for the help.

1 Like

Had some more issues with stuttering tonight, so I hit the submit log of the Video Player in the beta TvOS app. Not sure how far back it logs, but I did it about half way through the show. Also was having trouble with double clicking to jump through the commercial markers. Not sure if that kind of thing would leave any info in the log, but if you see something I’d be interested if it helps pin point anything. Basically was only doing a 30 second skip rather than jumping to the end of the commercial (chapter marker).

A post was split to a new topic: Stutter watching Live TV on ATV (non-4k)