Synology Docker and Transcoding

I noticed after I moved my ChannelsDVR from a native package over to using Docker on my Synology that I lost Hardware transcoding. A little searching around I see that I need to insert a command for /dev/dri in order for my hardware transcoder to work. Is that something that can be done from the Synology Docker GUI or do I need to do everything via command line?

So playing around with this a little bit I will share what I learned if anyone else wants to set this up via Docker on their Synology.

Take a database backup first!!

The example given on https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#docker gives you this:

docker run
--detach
--name=channels-dvr
--net=host
--restart=on-failure:10
--device /dev/dri:/dev/dri
--volume /mnt/disk/dvr/config:/channels-dvr
--volume /mnt/disk/dvr/recordings:/shares/DVR
fancybits/channels-dvr:latest

For me I also need TVE support which is noted at the bottom of that same page
"Use the fancybits/channels-dvr:tve image if you need TV Everywhere support"

First thing I had to do was create my folder share for docker (docker/channels-dvr/config)

After that I edited the above docker run command

docker run
--detach
--name=channels-dvr
--net=host
--volume /volume1/docker/channels-dvr/config:/channels-dvr
--volume /volume1/DVR:/shares/DVR
--volume /volume1/Media:/shares/Media \ (This was to add my movie imports folder)
fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

I put in bold the only things that I modified. Next you need to SSH into your Synology NAS using your account. To start the docker container I had to run sudo to elevate my permissions to run the container.

sudo docker run
--detach
--name=channels-dvr
--net=host
--volume /volume1/docker/channels-dvr/config:/channels-dvr
--volume /volume1/DVR:/shares/DVR
--volume /volume1/Media:/shares/Media
fancybits/channels-dvr:tve

After that was done, the container started up, I navigated to http://myip:8089/restore and restored from my latest database backup. Voila!

2 Likes

Why did you switch from the native package to Docker? Less CPU/overhead?
Or was this because you went to DSM 7 where there is no package [yet]?

I wanted to move to DSM7 so I switched it. Also from what I am reading it throws another level of security onto my NAS since its exposed to the internet.

I hope you don’t mean you don’t have it behind a firewall at all… as long as it’s behind a firewall with proper rules in place there’s not much risk.

1 Like

Yep only necessary ports are open with all others being blocked

1 Like

A DSM7 compatible spk is available on https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#synology

3 Likes

A post was split to a new topic: Error adding TVE source with new Synology DSM 7 Channels package

Thanks for posting this up, got my shared movies and tv shows loaded up now! I also found this post when trying to get Hardware working on my Synology DS920+ Docker. I ssh to load the container with "sudo docker run --device=/dev/dri -it fancybits/channels-dvr:tve " and the hardware encoding was installed right away. Just adding this incase anyone else was having problems also.