Synology DS218

Would this be sufficient for DVR and commercial indexing? Thank you in advance.

Yes. It will not support transcoding for remote viewing however.

but the DS218+ will? is that the only major difference?

Correct. The 218+ has an Intel CPU which is more powerful

I was looking at the DS218play. It mentions that it does transcoding but no mention of Quick Sync… would it be OK for remote viewing?

No the DS218play uses a proprietary transcoder that we do not support

OK thanks. DS218+ it is then!

let me know where you buy it from, i have been watching it on amazon for a bit and it hasn’t moved from its $299 price

I’m in the UK so can’t get it that cheap! The exchange rate makes it about $370 over here…

@tmm1 would you recommend the DS718+ over the DS218+?

They’re basically the same IIRC. If you plan to use a lot of storage the extra bays could be useful.

Well, it’s a month on and thought I’d provide a quick update in case anyone else searches for the DS218+

I now have it set up with two WD Red drives and it seems to be performing really well. The only downside of the NAS was that by default the fan stays on all the time. Given that it was in the TV room it was still audible when there was no other background noise. However, I manged to find out how to change the DSM config file so that the fan now goes off when it’s not doing anything.

I have to say that the Channels software has so far performed almost flawlessly, with just a small glitch when trying to watch HD channels using the web interface.

I’ve had a few issues with SiliconDust’s HDHR5-4DT (UK), whereby it seems to get a problem that makes watching Live TV impossible. However, restarting the device seemed to remove the issue. Given this situation, I was wondering if it’s possible to do a restart of the device from the NAS? Anyone know of a script that would do this, or set it to reboot periodically?

Anyway, I’m sufficiently impressed that I’ve cancelled my cable TV contract!

Streaming issues

4 posts were split to a new topic: Streaming issues

Streaming issues

Mine is very quiet but I have the fan on the lowest setting. Did you upgrade the ram? I’m thinking getting the 4GB stick upgrade. I’m about to setup channels dvr and infuse very soon!

Giving up

I also had the fan on the lowest setting - and agreed it wasn’t unbearable. However, I thought I’d do my bit for the planet and turn it off when not required. I think Synology are probably being overcautious for those that are pusing the NAS harder than I am.

Given that it’s not doing much more than TV and some back-ups for me, I didn’t bother upgrading the memory. It seems just fine with the standard 2GB configuration.