Synology DSM 7.0 and CHANNELS DVR

A DSM7 compatible spk is available on https://getchannels.com/dvr-server/#synology

4 Likes

Thanks, do you run this after upgrading to DSM 7.0 or before? Not sure I understand what the SPK is for.

1 Like

If you upgrade from DSM6 to DSM7 then no action is required. The old SPK and installation will keep working.

1 Like

Thank you.

Help! So I think I might have made a mistake. I performed the Synology upgrade from DSM6 to DSM7 and Channels seemed to be working ok, but I noticed that the version was older than the download file for the new DSM7 version on the Channels website.

So I tried to install the new 1.1.0 version and it failed. It then told me to uninstall the failed install, which I did. Now I have nothing installed and when I try to re-install the new 1.1.0 version it keeps failing saying "Failed to install the package. Downloading Channels DVR 2021.08.12.0054 (linux-x86_64) to /volume1/@appstore/ChannelsDVR/channels-dvr....Channels DRV has been downloaded." On the apps page it shows Channels DVR and says "Error. Please re-install the package because something went wrong."

How do I get it installed, and hopefully with it keeping all of my previous shows and information?

There is no reason to upgrade the SPK.

I think you probably need to delete it completely and reinstall at this point.

Afterwards you can do a backup restore as described here: Channels Support - How do I move Channels DVR Server to a new computer?

See also:

How do I do that? I've tried to uninstall it and reinstall it with the same error? How do I "delete it completely" (without hopefully losing all of my data)?

Any more help would be appreciated as I am now dead in the water :frowning:

Can you screenshot what this looks like? Maybe you can ask Synology since its their apps interface that's saying this. I have not heard of it before.

What happens when you uninstall the DVR in the apps interface? Is it still listed there?

If you enable SSH/SFTP on your NAS you can go into and delete (or rename) this folder:

/volume1/@appstore/ChannelsDVR/

Your recordings and backups are stored separately in a share, and you can use those to restore after you reinstall the software portion.

When I look in the @appstore folder after I uninstall the Channels app, there is no ChannelsDVR folder. When I try to install it again, the folder appears.

This is what happens when you install it and get the error:

When you click Uninstall, it disappears along with the folders in the @appstore folder.

What do you see in the ChannelsDVR folder after installing?

Do you have a share called ChannelsDVR already?

On the root of the volume1 there is a ChannelsDVR folder with all of my data.

There does also seem to be a ChannelsDVR folder in the @apphome folder that it says I don't have permission to go into.

It should be @appstore not @apphome.

Can you try renaming the ChannelsDVR share you have to something else, then reinstall the SPK and see if that works?

1 Like

Unfortunately I'm not a Linux guru. The ChannelsDVR folder on the root of volume1 isn't a share, it's just a folder (it never was a visible share in the Synology DiskStation). There doesn't seem to be a "rename" command in the Synology Linux. I Googled and it said you can also use the "mv" command, but I get Permission denies when I try to use that (I'm logged into SSH as Administrator).

Sorry I meant go into the Synology NAS shares interface and rename there.

But it's not a share in the Synology interface (and never was). How can I view the root "volume1" in the Synology GUI?

Ah then that is the problem.

It was never an actual share, and the interface can't see it.

I think you're SSHing as your own user instead of admin. If you do it as admin, you should be able to mv ChannelsDVR ChannelsDVROld and not get the permissions error.

You might be more comfortable using an SFTP client instead.

I'll try SFTP, but as you can see by the screenshots above (in green), I am logging in as Administrator.

Try sudo mv ChannelsDVR ChannelsDVR2

That worked to rename the folder, but I still get the same error when I try to reinstall the 1.1.0 package file. Should I try to rename all of the ChannelsDRV folders in the @appdata, @apphome, @appconf, etc folders?