Tethered remote viewing issue

Testing on wifi now and it plays fine, 2Mbps tethered still has issues

Can you hit submit diagnostics at the bottom of the Settings tab after doing a fresh launch of the app (kill it first), and playing a channel while tethered.

Thanks for the diagnostics.

Can you try the new iOS testflight build. After installing it, log out from the remote DVR and then login again. (It should switch to HTTPS this time). Then try streaming and submit diagnostics again.

Done, no noticeable improvement. Iā€™m ditching my 6s for a Pixel 2 next week so Iā€™ll see if tethering through it has the same issue.

Oh you donā€™t have SSL on your DVR yet, so it still used HTTP.

On your DVR, using a desktop browser, HOLD SHIFT DOWN and click Check for Updates.

At the bottom of the page in the Remote Access section you should see a spinner generating HTTPS certificate and then the URL should have https:// in front.

Once SSL is available, logout and login via iOS app again.

Updated to SSL, logged out and closed app, logged on and submitted logsā€¦ still getting the same behavior. Let me load emby on the new server so I have another platform to compare to, this just seems odd.

Verified SSL is active now, but the behavior is the same.

The player downloads video from the DVR in 1s chunks. Each chunk is taking almost 1.5-2s to download on your connection, which means it keeps falling behind.

Itā€™s strange that Plex doesnā€™t have the same problem thoughā€¦

What about the web player, does that work with Channels DVR?

Web player has issues too, it has the same buffering from time to time but more often it just has artifacts and does split second jump backs. I just tested Emby from the same server and same tethered connection and it played fine.

My ECC ram hasnā€™t come in so for testing and learning my way around Freenas Iā€™ve got an 8gb stick borrowed from my main computer, to elongate any issues Iā€™m turning off the other jails each time I test one of the live streams.

I also noticed on the web player the transcoded was only running at 1.07x, with my cpu shouldnā€™t it be converting much faster?

You canā€™t convert faster than real time when the video is live.

I sent you another build with extra diagnostics logging, to rule out a possible problem. Please upgrade and submit diagnostics after watching (no need to submit before watching).

Log sent. Did some more testing with Emby and Plex. Plex had two short buffers at the beginning of playback then worked fine, those may have just been because of network congestion at this time of day, for the most part it doesnā€™t have issues. Emby seems to take a little longer to start playback but doesnā€™t exhibit any buffering once it gets going. Channels is pretty consistent with a buffer every few seconds.

Let me know what more I can do, I know this isnā€™t a mainstream use case so I appreciate you taking the time to toubleshoot.

I just tried tethering my iPad Mini 2 to my iPhone 6s, and the streaming performance was the same as compared to iPhone 6s alone.

Just to confirm, you can stream fine on your iPhone using the Channels iOS app at 720@4mbps? But when you use the same app on the iPad tethered to the same iPhone, it buffers all the time?

Canā€™t test on my iPhone, still jailbroken and stuck on iOS9. I use TetherMe and MyWi (but lost MyWi during testing since I deleted it and didnā€™t realize its no longer available). TetherMe uses the built in tethering but I guess it could be the APN settings causing an issue, still seems like that would affect Plex/Emby as well, or maybe iOS 10/11 have just improved tethering performance. Either way the lack of any new jailbreak is what made me purchase the new Pixel so if this is directly related to TetherMe its probably best to leave it be as itā€™s such a limited use case.

As far as the TetherMe settings I donā€™t actually have the APN configured any differently, I just use it to activate the built in tethering since Iā€™m on an older truly unlimited plan that doesnā€™t allow tethering and therefore doesnā€™t have a 10GB limit when enabled by the jailbreak. Iā€™ve used it for years with slingbox (not Sling Tv) live streams and Plex without this issue.

Wow okay. I guess either iOS9 or TetherMe could be the issue. I still canā€™t explain why Plex/Emby are not affected, but Iā€™m officially out of ideas.

LMK how the Pixel works out.

Submitted new diagnostics with Mini 3 tethered to a 6s (neither device is jailbroken)

Does the 6s play directly over cellular correctly?

Itā€™s on 10.3, updating now to test it and re-test tethering on 11.0.3

Same issue on the phone, submitted diagnostics

Is it possible that the cell provider is treating tethered connections differently than when initiated on the phone?

There are several ways that they can determine what the video content is and they may have different behaviors based on IP address, domain name, http headers (browser/client or a special X-header) that may affect the tethered connection.

One examine of this is t-mobile Binge-on (which is enabled by default unless grandfathered in or pay extra); and Verizon may now also be doing something similar.

Quick test would be to try speedtest.net from the tethered device and directly on the phone via the speedtest.net ookla app. Pay attention to upload speed.

Can you also try turning the bitrate way down, and see if it still buffers? If so, that would indicate some sort of latency issue instead of a bandwidth problem.