Tethered remote viewing issue

I don’t have access to that phone now, I can do further testing tethering through my jailbroken phone (that elimates any possibility that the tethered connection is being throttled but introduces other unknowns). Let me know if you would like me to test now with it or later when I have access to the other 6s. In earlier testing with my phone the buffering was still present at 2Mbps.

Yea, try at 1mbps or lower on the jailbroken tether to see what happens.

1 Like

Submitted, same results

Very interesting. What about at 320kbps

Submitted, exact same behavior

@tmm1 what carrier are you on when you’ve had success tethering?

Verizon

I had success tethering on T-mobile no problem.

@JMcGuire I sent you a new iOS testflight build to try out.

Diagnostics submitted. Only other thing I can think to try is an LTE iPad pro I can borrow to try streaming on it and tethering through it. I’ll try it and submit diagnostics when I can.

Any other ideas or testing you need performed? I’ve tried with different servers and different devices. Everything is over Verizon, most of the results were tethered through my jailbroken 6s on a grandfathered unlimited plan, other testing was done through a stock 6s on the newer unlimited plan with 10gb of tethering before they throttle. Playback has all been on a iPad mini 3 except for the one test on the stock 6s itself. As I mentioned before I can get access to an LTE iPad pro if needed to further troubleshoot the issue.

I just tried out tethering a iPhone to my iPad at 1Mbps and it worked great on AT&T with a Mac server.

My pixel will be here tomorrow but I’ll have to see if it will tether or needs a app to bypass Verizon restrictions because of the plan I am on, either way I’ll try to test out and see it I get different results with it.

The fact that even 320kbps can’t stream fast enough points to a strange network issue…

I would definitely be curious to hear if the pixel or other iPad reproduces the issue.

I guess the next step debugging-wise would be to have you try to stream from my DVR, or me try to stream from yours.

If I was able to reproduce I could fire up a packet sniffer and get a better idea of what was going on…

More than welcome to, my new server is down right since I was waiting on ram and installing the drive cages. I’m running off the Shield for the time being but I can get the server back up or my Windows server… If you want me to try under your account just pm me the login.

Does the same issue occur when watching a recording instead of live tv?

Please upgrade to the latest DVR build, and then visit https://my.channelsdvr.net/speedtest and copy/paste results here.

This is what I got but its also doing something weird, I tried testing on the phone directly and retesting on the iPad a few times and most of the time it gets hung up testing latency... it just sits there flashing the same number and eventually gives me a crazy high number for the test...

I'm running all Ubiquiti equipment on my home network, Edgerouter POE -> Unifi Switch -> Cat6 & UAP AC Lite

Well, that high latency number would certainly explain the behavior we’re observing.